Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neighborhood Watch
I didn't want to hijack the warning to HPP topic but I did want to comment on the watch programs. I live in Leilani Estates and we have a very active neighborhood watch program. We don't have as many miles of roads as HPP so it is a little different in scale but the methods do work. It takes about an hour for a car to travel all of the roads in Leilani. We have coordinated patrols so several hours of each day, including some evenings,we have someone on the streets. All of the patrol vehicles have signs on the doors and a magnetic flashing light is on the roof in the evenings. It's easy enough to tell if a person or a vehicle seems out of place but we don't confront anyone unless we feel safe about it. We do note plate numbers and vehicle descriptions, we do have the ability to call the police department, and we carry a digital camera. We keep these records and if a crime is committed we may have info to help solve it. The police department is always represented at our monthly meetings and provides data on activity in all of Puna. The watch programs are a good way to make the community safer for everyone and to just get involved with and get to know other folks. Some might think that it's just too much structure or too many rules but hey, it works. Get involved. Our watch program is always looking for more members but thankfully we do have some people willing to spend time on neighbor watch, on neighborhood cleanup, on invasive plant removal, on community park and building projects, ....

Jay
Jay
Thank you posting, Jay. This is exactly the model we are trying to achieve in HPP. The sheer amount of roads we have to cover (over 120 miles) is a big issue for us, but we are trying and making progress. We already have good police presence at all our meetings from CPO Finkey as well as Officers Amaral and Briski, who are HPP residents and active members of the HPP Neighborhood Watch. The monthly crime maps they provide are very informative.

Cheers,
Jerry
Any word on the exact time the neighborhood watch meeting is?

Are there neighborhood meeting minutes online?

CPO Finkey is my high school classmate, although we never did talk to each other before. Waiakea High School class of '93
Your question is probably for Jerry about HPP but the Leilani Estates meeting is the last Tuesday of each month at our community center and office. Last Tuesday I think we had about thirty people attend.

Jay
Jay
The next meeting of the HPP Neighborhood Watch will be on Saturday, March 7 beginning at 8am at the HPP Activity Center. This is a service day for litter pick-up in HPP and not a regular business meeting. Coffee and donuts will be served beginning at 8, and members and guests will be provided gloves, trash bags, and water. We usually break out into small teams with each team picking up several blocks of one of the main mauka-makai roads. The supplies will be available until 10am, but I suggest getting there early since the coffee and donuts may run out. I also find it more comfortable to do the work before the sun gets too hot, although lately that hasn't been much of a problem.

The next full business meeting will be on Saturday, April 4 at 9am at the HPP Activity Center.

Cheers,
Jerry
Thanks Jerry, I will let my neighbor know.

quote:
Originally posted by JerryCarr

The next meeting of the HPP Neighborhood Watch will be on Saturday, March 7 beginning at 8am at the HPP Activity Center. This is a service day for litter pick-up in HPP and not a regular business meeting. Coffee and donuts will be served beginning at 8, and members and guests will be provided gloves, trash bags, and water. We usually break out into small teams with each team picking up several blocks of one of the main mauka-makai roads. The supplies will be available until 10am, but I suggest getting there early since the coffee and donuts may run out. I also find it more comfortable to do the work before the sun gets too hot, although lately that hasn't been much of a problem.

The next full business meeting will be on Saturday, April 4 at 9am at the HPP Activity Center.

Cheers,
Jerry

Bump.