Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emily Naeole and Steam Vents
i would love to hear what the dozer operator would say when you tell him that you want him to rip a driveway thru there
When you're hot, you're hot!
If the steam vents were a sure long term thing the obvious commercial use would be to have a healing arts type spa but Pele could take that away in a moment. I'm guessing the steam vent property will stay in limbo for a good while unless an interested buyer comes forward.

My earlier thoughts were that the property could be purchased by an interested group of individuals and designated as a land trust for public use and kept as close to natural state as possilbe w/ maybe some minor trail improvements, better ladders, maybe a port-a-potty. Of course the biggest downsides are the public use rules that would have to be posted (vs. the informal rules) and most insurance agents would frown at the inherent well known hazards and liabilites of the property.

Having a cultural center there seems to be overkill since most people are not attracted to the property for that reason. If the land isn't actually listed for sale this talk seems to be premature and why was the land disturbed in the first place?

As for the old adjacent Steam Vent Inn that has changed Owner that's really a separeate topic (not part of the land in question). However yes it has a septic system that runs down into the ground. After staying there several times back in the "good old days" I don't ever remember a bad smell or odor problem but of course those systems can get out of control if not properlly maintained.

Wishing for the good old days (change is inevitable).