Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a packaging place here???
Aloha all,
I'm trying to help some people get a used yurt shipped to Kauai. Problem is, I can't find anyone who can package the components here! Honolulu has plenty, but not Hilo it seems... It seems a bit crazy to me, but the cheapest I could find was Royal Hawaiian and they wanted over $900.00 and that's if I dropped it off! That doesn't even include shipping or delivery! Do they use gold pallets? I dunno...
What I have are about 40 2'x4'x12' rafters, one length of lattice work wall that will be rolled, a wooden door and frame, roof and wall vinyl and a 5' diameter dome. All just need palletizing, shrink wrap and padding, with the dome in a skeletal crate.
Anyone know someone who can do this for me quickly and very efficiently for around $400?
Mahalo!
Yurt Girl
Melissa Fletcher
The banding, shrink wrap, padding, pallets, extra wood, plus all the labor to do that would be more than $400, easily. Plus, what happens if they break something?

We have new yurts this size shipped from Colorado, crated for $200 and shipped for about $1500. It's crazy to pay twice as much to ship it from one island to the other. Don't we have businesses shipping things out of here that need crating? For a handyman to do it I agree, it probably isn't worth it, but if you're a business with all the supplies and experience, it wouldn't be that big of a deal at all, you aren't using good lumber to ship. We're talking basic bubble and shrink wrap with a very basic rough frame... Is everyone paying that much more to do that? If so, looks like I have another business idea...
Melissa Fletcher
yurt girl. call young brothers in hilo directly. they should be able to put it in an open crate for you. you take packing blankets or freecycle blankets, you pack the crate and i bet it wont be much over 200 if you do it before their 17 % increase they are asking for. we do interisland shipping alot in open crates and they havent broken anything yet. not sure about that length but go ask.
opps didnt see skeletal dome thingy.. dont know about that one, again go down to the dock and look at the open bins and see if they will suit your needs...
I would load it all securely on a trailer like the canoe clubs do with their Koa boats for off island races. You pay for the trailer round trip.
quote:
Originally posted by lquade

yurt girl. call young brothers in hilo directly. they should be able to put it in an open crate for you. you take packing blankets or freecycle blankets, you pack the crate and i bet it wont be much over 200 if you do it before their 17 % increase they are asking for. we do interisland shipping alot in open crates and they havent broken anything yet. not sure about that length but go ask.
opps didnt see skeletal dome thingy.. dont know about that one, again go down to the dock and look at the open bins and see if they will suit your needs...

I called Young Brothers and explained the situation, the lady I spoke with said they couldn't help and referred me to Royal Hawaiian... Maybe I was asking the wrong question...? 17% increase! Wow.
Melissa Fletcher
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

I would load it all securely on a trailer like the canoe clubs do with their Koa boats for off island races. You pay for the trailer round trip.

Oooh! I like that idea!
Melissa Fletcher
"...We have new yurts this size shipped from Colorado, ..."

Save the packaging from one of those and use it pack your used one. You might have to buy a couple of rolls of shrink wrap.....
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Hilo Moving and Storage, on Railroad Ave., might be able to help
Our moving company made crates for a lot of our stuff. I would think that any big moving company here would do the same, or find a handy carpenter. I think that the trailer idea also makes sense.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com