Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small farms in Hawaii threatened by HR2749
Here is what it says about farms.I read it to mean that as long as a small farm is selling directly to the public they are exempt.If they sell to a processor then the law applies.I think the whole idea was to allow better tracking to find the source of tainted food more quickly.Obviously if you get sick from a product that you got at the farmers market,that could be quickly tracked.

(1) DEFINITION OF FACILITY- Paragraph (1) of section 415(b) (21 U.S.C. 350d(b)) is amended to read as follows:

‘(1)(A) The term ‘facility’ means any factory, warehouse, or establishment (including a factory, warehouse, or establishment of an importer) that manufactures, processes, packs, or holds food.

‘(B) Such term does not include farms; private residences of individuals; restaurants; other retail food establishments; nonprofit food establishments in which food is prepared for or served directly to the consumer; or fishing vessels (except such vessels engaged in processing as defined in section 123.3(k) of title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, or any successor regulations).

‘©(i) The term ‘retail food establishment’ means an establishment that, as its primary function, sells food products (including those food products that it manufactures, processes, packs, or holds) directly to consumers (including by Internet or mail order).

‘(ii) Such term includes--

‘(I) grocery stores;

‘(II) convenience stores;

‘(III) vending machine locations; and

‘(IV) stores that sell bagged feed, pet food, and feed ingredients or additives over-the-counter directly to consumers and final purchasers for their own personal animals.
One of the problems I see for many that while "farms" are for the most part exempt--only "harvesting, trimming "outer leaves," washing, and cooling" are allowed as "farm" activities. Any other "processing" makes one regulated by the act. This includes "storing" but I'm unclear how long you have to "store" something before it's "stored." Coffee and tea producers here locally will certainly be effected by this regulation, and a strict interpretation could impact many more.

We'll see what else comes and goes as it runs through the senate. Fees rolled back to 500 bucks now.
Yeh it would certainly impact the small time coffee and mac nut farms.
I hope that isn't the intent.
Basically its an attermpt to crack down on food processors that run unhealthy shops like the peanut processor recently that was running an unhealthy plant this year and cause a massive food recall. My understanding is the average fresh produce farmers markets will see very little impact if any, while yes anyone who processes food and sells to the public will be subject to stiffer laws and penalties. Good time for food coops and small farmer groups to get together and voice their opinions before its too late.
Fitz I posted a comment on your blog about this as well. Thanks for calling attention to it. I have subscribed to some alerts and am watching closely.

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/
Hi Blake, thanks for getting involved. We had a group get-together yesterday teaching canning and food preservation over in HPP and it was pretty sobering to consider the various impacts this bill will potentially have on so many honest projects here in Hawaii.

Reading through the bill it seems pretty clear that the "intent" of this bill is to limit liability and cap damages for Big Ag--under the smoke screen of a "safety" issue. Last check, the maximum fine a "corporation" can be subject to is a million bucks, regardless of the scale and scope of the offenses. How meaningful is such a fine to a big processor like Tyson foods or perhaps ADM or Monsanto?
Have you guys seen Food, Inc? http://www.foodincmovie.com/

I thought it was pretty well done would recommend it as a pretty good source for getting up on this stuff rather quickly if you are not already aware.

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/
It is playing on the 14th and 15th at our local Indie theater downtown, The Palace. http://www.hilopalace.com/

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com