Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
home owners insurance
I am sorry I forgot to mention the lave zone. We are hoping to buy in HSRE which I believe is in Lava Zone 2. Thank you again. Debby
In lava zone 1 and 2 there's no other choice than HIPA.

(There's also LLoyd of London,but it's out of most of people's league).

Some people use insurance brokers.A lot of times Kevin Yee from Pyramid company was recommended,but I've never been able to get ahold of him.
But I think it doesn't matter in most cases since any broker would go to the only source - HIPA (Hawaii Property Insurance Association).
We live in lava zone 2 and have Allstate.It costs $720.00 per year and does not cover flooding,earthquake or lava.
We are covered if the house is crushed by ash or catches on fire from ashes.
When we got our coverage in 2000 we had a home on the mainland and several vehicles all insured with Allstate.We were also long time customers.
The other restrictions they had were,no closer than 1000ft to the ocean,no single wall construction,fire dept had to be able to respond within 10 minutes, paved roads and close proximity to a fire hydrant.
Vacationland met all of those restrictions.
Our agent called the fire department in Pahoa and they said they could be out here in 8 or 9 minutes.I would hat to be on the Pahoa-Kapoho road when they are making that 8 minute run.
Interesting,I guess,the financial broker told me that because that was the only choice of the lender.Actually,there was one of the independent insurance brokers who said that HIPA is the only one...
Obie did you get Allstate recently or years ago?
My home in Hawaiian Ocean View Ranchos is in Lava Zone 2 and I have insurance through Liberty Mutual. You might have to insure your cars with them as well. It seems to me that was a requirement for them to insure the house.

The Kona Forum
http://www.konaforum.com

Da Kine PC Repair Upgrade
http://www.DaKinePC.com

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former". --Albert Einstein
We got our coverage in 2000.

I think that being long time customers and having multiple policies helped.I forgot that I also had a duplex insured with them too.I kind of mentioned that I liked to keep all my insurance with the same company and that may have helped.
I also had to agree to all the restrictions.
I don't think Allstate will issue new policies,but it doesn't hurt to check.
Konadave,the same ? for you -did you get the insurance recently?
They might not accept new policies.
Stillhope,

We got our coverage in 2005 so I am not sure if they are writing new policies or not. [Big Grin]

The Kona Forum
http://www.konaforum.com

Da Kine PC Repair Upgrade
http://www.DaKinePC.com

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former". --Albert Einstein
Aloha, I am insurance broker in Hilo. HPIA implemented 33% and 55% rate increase this year for owner occupied and tenant occupied homes in lava zones 1 & 2. Lloyds can now save hundreds of dollars in premium when switching from HPIA and another hurricane policy but only in zone 2. Zone 1 (primarily Leilani Estates) policies with Lloyd’s exclude lava and fire by lava so is not recommended. If a home in zone 1 requires over $350,000 in coverage; the current HPIA limit, we have other options that do not include the zone 1 lava exclusion.

Keep in mind Lloyds includes hurricane coverage and has all around superior coverage. Quick comment on the other posts; Allstate brokers to HPIA in lava zones 1 &2, Liberty Mutual had an agent writing lava zone 1 & 2 but I was told that went against the company's underwriting guidelines. I was referring all lava zone business to that agent while he was writing so people could save money.

If there were any standard insurers in Lava zone 1 and 2 they would quickly get all the business they could handle and would have an overload of risk for volcanic eruption (based on lava zone studies of course). Insurers have to spread risk to stay solvent. Lloyds I believe is the largest and oldest insurer in the world. HPIA is a state manadated insurance program.

Mahalo,

Dan De Soto
Mutual Underwriters
All Lines Agent
www.insurancehi.com
Tel: 808-961-3207
Fax: 808-969-1120
275 Ponahawai St., Ste#105
Hilo, HI 96720
Dan De Soto
Mutual Underwriters
Insurance Agent
www.insurancehi.com
dan@mutualunderwriters.com
Tel: 808-961-3207
Fax: 808-969-1120
275 Ponahawai St., Ste#105
Hilo, HI 96720
Bumping this up for the two who are asking insurance questions.
Also there is another posting string by the same title the same day, so you can look for it also if you'd like.

Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!