Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kapoho petri pools
I wouldn't call that trolling.. even though it is an inflammatory subject, it sure is (imho) the right answer to the question of how best to preserve the coast line in the Kapoho area. The right answer in an ideal setting that is. Which is not the case as we see it in reality. Those homes are there.. and the investments, the dreams and goals and all the memories stuff are real as real can be to those that live in them. So a blanket 'we're gonna tear it all down' aint gonna wash. Regardless it IS the right thing to do, if ever man were to agree to play second fiddle to the land and sea. But we all know that aint going to happen. Rocks will have to rain down on us from the heavens before we ever give up our consumption based ways, or our hold on each and every piece of what we got. And then.. in 1974 (during the Kalapana earthquake) the land in the area subsided many feet.. another such event (very likely within a lifetime) will take care of it all anyways.
Well stated dakine. Some problems take care of themselves.... and a major earthquake along that coast could well be the definitive answer.

Not wishing for that by any means.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
How about a planning sponsored ordinance requiring compliance with at least federal standards before title can pass?

BTW in our case it was the “Center for Biodiversity", AKA The Arizona Center for Biodiversity” that blew the whistle, filed a suit and held the feds (USFS) feet to the fire.

If that were to happen here – like in our case, all local control will be lost; it will be the courts asking the questions prescribing the solutions.

Robs solution being the more expedient though - grin

OK back to work, I have been at the keyboard way too much this morning, Aloha
Wishing an earthquake on us ??

Aloha to you to !!

The residents of Vacationland are trying to come up with a solution to this problem.We cannot afford to build a multimillion dollar sewage treatment system on our own however.

The cheapest thing we could do is put up a gate and block public access.All of you who think that beach access is guaranteed must be from California or some other state.Hawaii has no such law.

The residents of Vacationland have bent over backwards to make the tide pools a nice place for the public to visit.We have signs to direct people to the pools and have parking which is actually on private property.

Don't forget,we live on an island.Everyone lives upstream of the ocean.Your cesspools and septics also flow into the ocean.With all of the lava tubes,how can you know if your crap doesn't hit the ocean before mine???

No one is wishing an earthquake on anyone.

But nature does have a way of taking charge and has in the past.

The quake in 1975 made major changes on the Kapoho-Kalapana Coast.

But I think I'll start a topic to explore the facts of ocean access in Hawaii.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I'm certainly not wishing an earthquake or tsunami on anyone. The problem is that it's not an "if" scenario, but a "when".

Flush!

punatoons