Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
from PCMC; a FLU update
Aloha!
In the past 3 weeks, we have seen many adults and children with a "FLU-LIKE" illness with the following characteristics; rapid onset, high fever (ADULTS with temps of 103 and 104!); adults more knocked down than children; gradual waning of temp (over 2-3-4 days) to "low grade"; shifting to more typical picture of a cold with runny nose and cough. Some folks have had nausea, some with vomiting, gradually shifting to loose stools or frank diarrhea for a day or so.

MOST folks go through the entire process in 7-10 days; back to school or work in 3-4 days. NO SPECIFIC TREATMENT (antibiotic) is available to stop this process; you deal with the headache and fever, with the cold symptoms and the cough, you rest, eat lightly, drink a lot of water or tea or juice, and get well. Only people with asthma, or smokers, have needed additional management.

Could this be H1N1 ("swine flu")? Yes, it could be, but that does not change anything about how it is managed. Influenza is viral and self limited; only those with previous respiratory disease, the frail elderly, pregnant women, and infants are at increased risk of SECONDARY problems.

Dan
Domizio, where did you get this information?

One thing that comes to mind is that perhaps the Mexican Flu continues to mutate.
What I have described is the experiences we've had at the clinic over the past few weeks, with background from the CDC and it's statements.
Dan
Thanks for the information and advice.
Thank you, Dan, for pointing out that it is inappropriate to ask for (or prescribe) antibiotics for flu or colds. Such practice is one reason we are seeing so many antibiotic-resistant strains of bugs such as MRSA.
JerryCarr, a suggestion: Whenever you are referring to the medical profession and use the word practice, put it in quotation marks because it sums up the profession.
quote:
Originally posted by centipede

One thing that comes to mind is that perhaps the Mexican Flu continues to mutate.
Centipede, a suggestion: Whenever you are referring to this flu, "Mexican" is not the way to identify it since they discovered it originated in the U.S. of A., not Mexico. The first "identifiable" cases (due to a cluster) were in Mexico but the first cases were in america but mistakenly misdiagnosed as flu. I know it conjures up more fear by using "Mexico" in the name, after all them "dark folks' have to be the villians.
Aloha!
Moday, we saw 30 clients, a new record. While there were a few people with "flu-like" symptoms, the number was down from what we were seeing just last week. With school in session, the crucible of the classroom may induce an explosion of cases appearing to be influenza, and quite possibly be the H1N1 virus we've been talking about. One person came in having been exposed to person with a confirmed H1N1 infection, so we know it is among us. There still is no specific treatment. Whether or not the H1N1 virus mutates, it will still be a virus, and will still have no specific treatment. We will only be able to manage the secondary problems like asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia if they occur.

Interestingly, TIME magazine has a useful, informative, easy to understand, and NOT inflammatory article on all this. This is the edition with the woman jogging on the cover, eyeballing a bluberry muffin.
Dan

Bob, I don't know where you suddenly came up with this "mistakenly diagnosed flu" data so please do us a favor and provide documentation that proves the first case of Mexican Flu originated in the USA because I haven't heard anything about it, and if true, we should then call it the American Flu. Your notion of my labeling this virus the Mexican Flu because I want to conjure fear of "dark folks" is based upon ignorance, and in doing so you depicted me as being some sort of prejudiced person. Because of this, I think you may be losing it because you mindlessly played an "ethnic card" without knowing anything about me other than I was naming the virus in its traditional and globally-accepted manner. By default, you have played the card on those who you must believe conjured fear of Asians for calling that one the Hong Kong Flu or Spain for the Spanish Flu.

If nothing else, you are suffering from an overdose of "political correctness" and it's making you lash out at people without provocation. You may want to talk to a doctor about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Orts

quote:
Originally posted by centipede

Centipede, a suggestion: Whenever you are referring to this flu, "Mexican" is not the way to identify it since they discovered it originated in the U.S. of A., not Mexico. The first "identifiable" cases (due to a cluster) were in Mexico but the first cases were in america but mistakenly misdiagnosed as flu. I know it conjures up more fear by using "Mexico" in the name, after all them "dark folks' have to be the villians.