Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamakua fog
Barbara's post just kills me...too many chuckles with that one for the descriptive view.

Yes, in the slightest of over-cast conditions I instantly turn on my headlights in hopes that one of those idiots sees me coming before they suddenly decide to slig-shot themselves out onto the hiway. I have never figured out if it's just a case where they assume everyone else is on-the-ball and will automatically dodge them or what? Countless sightings of small children jumping from front-to-back seats, nobody restrained, while the parent blasts down the hiway. Yes, helmet law or not, it IS scary to be on a motorcycle here (refer back to the sling-shot vehicle).

Oh and how about "merging traffic" and what that means? Don't trust that anybody on the roads here actually knows how to drive. Never let your guard down. At least there is never a dull moment I guess, seems I always have a comment I make aloud to myself in my car with every trip to Hilo and back [Big Grin][:p][8D][xx(][?][^]
Pardon me, but every car I have owned in the last 10 years had automatic lights on and off. California and many other states passed that law at least 10 years ago. I am rather surprised to know that it is not in effect here as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Orts

If due to conditions, a vehicle can not be seen 500 feet to the front or rear, lights are required by Hawaii County law to be turned on.

quote:
Originally posted by Devany

Pardon me, but every car I have owned in the last 10 years had automatic lights on and off. California and many other states passed that law at least 10 years ago. I am rather surprised to know that it is not in effect here as well.

Pardon me but I don't think so. I have a 2003 truck I bought in CA and it doesn't have drl. It was just an option until maybe three years ago.
Never owned a car that has had them and not likely to, the kind of cars we get. Ours have headlights and they even work. Ha! Course, the backhoe and the tractors don't have lights but if we were to drive them on the highway we wouldn't do it at night.

How about them invisible cows up in the fog going to the ranger station up Mauna Kea? Hamakua just has fog but (so far) no invisible cows.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
When I die, please do not memorialize me with white stick-on letters in the back window of your Ford Ranger, expressing your loving memory of me on your rusting and quickly-depreciating asset. Also, please do not take flowers to the place where that drunken, unlicensed, moke pulled out in front of me. Chances are, he is still driving around and he just might smack you as you kneel there sobbing. Please do the proper thing and make a donation in my name to The Fund for Widowed and Dependent Twinks. Do not weep for me. I am still there. Everytime you see a big hairy long-haired naked guy doing a handstand at Kehena, think of me. Look for me on the wind....of the cyclone that is coming this way and threatening to take the roof of my house on Kaloli Point and put it in your front yard in Mountain View. Did you catch the whiff of septic tank on the soft evening wind? That was me. I'll be in touch. Don't change. Lights on. Use a siren if you have one. Destroy all roadside displays in my "honor".
quote:
Originally posted by Glen

... Everytime you see a big hairy long-haired naked guy doing a handstand at Kehena, think of me...

I generally really like your posts, but maybe this one borders upon TMI. [:0]

There is a "memorial" near us which is frequented mainly late at night by heavy drinking, screaming and yelling, loud music playing young folks driving cars. The morning after each new episode (I have called police several times already during these parties - they show up 1 hour plus later) I walk over and count how many more empty fifths of vodka, tequila and whiskey, as well as broken beer bottles and cans have been left. How long until one of these kids kill themselves or someone else on the road?

At least I can keep the five cents from each unbroken bottle and can that I keep picking up.
That's not me doing the handstand. That's me having the handstand inflicted ON me.
Glen, that was almost, no was, poetic. Oddly enough just last weekend we had a visitor that went down there and commented on the naked guy doing handstands, yoga poses and so on. She seemed to think it was the funniest thing and I mentioned something about a side effect from drinking genuine Hawaiian rainwater.

On a more serious note, for all of the non-headlight users in the rain, when I had a camper shell on my truck I couldn't see vehicles behind me with no lights on when it was raining. Those headlights really make a difference.

I think the rain/headlight law in California went into effect 7/1/05 and I gotta' say that it's my favorite law that has been passed in a long while. I don't see a problem with a useful law here, anyplace that has a ticket or clicket program, but allows riding in the bed of a pickup shouldn't have any problem either...
See you in the surf