Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCUBA Sunday/BEACH FUN DAY August 2
Jellyfish are no fun! I swam through an entire school of them in Newport Bay when I was 13. Luckily John Wayne and his boat captain pulled my girlfriend and I out of the water and treated us with gallons of ammonia. It worked. I think the reason I remember it so well is because of who pulled us out!

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
quote:
Originally posted by Devany

Hummus is soooo easy.

Just soak garbanzo beans overnight and then cook till they are tender.
Put them in a food processor with tahini at about a 2:1 ratio. Then add lemon juice, salt and herbs to taste. Then you can add flavor elements to taste. If you want I can e-mail you my pita bread recipe too.

I did two types yesterday, one was roasted red Basque peppers, Hawaiian chiles, caramelized onions, sun dried tomatoes, fresh Thai basil, parsley and roasted garlic.

The other was grilled eggplant, roasted garlic, caramelized onions, rosemary and parsley. [8D]

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

wow! sounds so yummy. thank you for the recipe. i'm a pretty decent cook, but not a baker so will pass on the pita recipe.

curious: i thought the jelly fish came out 8-11 days after a full moon and usually hit the south shores? or does that only apply to o'ahu? where is mauna kea beach?

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

Mauna Kea Beach is Kaunaoa Bay, just up from Hapuna Beach, at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

Box Jellyfish are normally 7-11 days after the full moon on the leeward shores, but there can be swarms & swarmlets at anytime. Good online resource for "jellyfish" in Hawaii:
http://www.808jellyfish.com/
Carey,

That is a great link! Since I snorkel over there once every two weeks or so (going again tomorrow) it is good to be able to check on that!

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

According to that site, the Jellyfish should be in force in Oahau on the 13th-15th. How does that relate to us, even on the West Coast beaches? Is it rare for jelly fish to be on the East side? I have never heard of them or seen them here.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

hm. interesting. the site talks about the jellyfish appear around 11 days after the full moon and usually on leeward beaches or the west side. maybe the information is for all islands? but like carey said, they can appear at anytime. best to check with the lifeguard or for posted signs if any.

learned something new today: mauna kea beach is kaunaoa beach and i found it on our map. i was going crazy looking for it.

"chaos reigns within.
order shall return."

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

The Box Jellyfish - genus Carybdea - is the jellyfish that has fairly predictable swarms, based on its breeding schedule that follows the lunar calendar. The main breeding areas are in shallower leeward coral reefs, usually in the more mature islands' waters.

Carybdea are not often seen in Hawaii Island waters, more common in our waters are the Man-O-War class of hydrozoans (colonial structures that are not true 'jellyfish")

Not seeing the critters at the guard station, I could only guess. But no matter, if there is any sign of the tentacled visitors, best not get in the water.
blue portuguese man-o-war can be found on white sandy kailua beach (o'ahu) whenever it's windy. they pack a good sting. i haven't seen any on this island yet.

"chaos reigns within.
order shall return."

w. james

Carey,

YOU are a wealth of information! I wish I had you in my hip pocket!

Thanks for informing/teaching us.

quote:
Originally posted by Carey

The Box Jellyfish - genus Carybdea - is the jellyfish that has fairly predictable swarms, based on its breeding schedule that follows the lunar calendar. The main breeding areas are in shallower leeward coral reefs, usually in the more mature islands' waters.

Carybdea are not often seen in Hawaii Island waters, more common in our waters are the Man-O-War class of hydrozoans (colonial structures that are not true 'jellyfish")

Not seeing the critters at the guard station, I could only guess. But no matter, if there is any sign of the tentacled visitors, best not get in the water.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany, although I wouldn't fit, the true source of almost all of the information I relay does, as the internet is the true source of almost all of the information I relay.

"I search, therefore I am!" as my brain only holds various & sundry bits of miscellaneous information.... from those "didn't I see something on that, may have been something like this, somewhere, a couple of years ago?" thoughts, based on a lot of research I had done in moving here & going back to school, I search the internet....