Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar water heater variance..
I'm wondering if someone has delt with the new solar water heating variance yet:

[url][/url]http://hawaii.gov/dbedt/info/energy/SWHVariance/requestinfo

I got mine approved before I got my building plan approved. I am going to use a tankless water heater. However, in their super smartness in Hawaii, they have decided to allow only UL approved tankless heaters. Which sounds good, until you look at the list of offerings. None of the ones available here in the stores redialy or even known are UL approved. If you look at the list, Rheem is approved, but only the commercial units which is useless as a home owner. I am wondering if anyone here (plumbing inspector?) or else is looking at exactly what is UL and what isn't?

Thanks..

John
Why wouldn't you want solar? That is one of the few things that I agree with the building department about. Even here in Hawaiian Acres where rain and clouds are no stranger, we get lots of free hot water. On-demand water heaters are great for backup but for primary heat use the sun.
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Epperson

Why wouldn't you want solar? That is one of the few things that I agree with the building department about. Even here in Hawaiian Acres where rain and clouds are no stranger, we get lots of free hot water. On-demand water heaters are great for backup but for primary heat use the sun.

I makes sense and doesn't.. They need to be installed by a "certified professional" who just charges an extra $1000 to eat away at the federal credit for example.. Likely one day I will put it together myself. Plus we will need it only 6 months of the year since this is a vacation home.
A lot of water heaters are only sold through plumbing supply houses.Many times these plumbing supply houses only sell wholesale.

The link you provided has a list of approved variances.I noticed Argus was listed as the builder on many of the early ones.

Call Argus at 933-9441 and ask them where they got them.
Solar is a great idea, but not so much when your roof is shaded by jungle trees...