Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another shipping container question
I've read some info on the forum.Otherwise I have rather vague idea about the (un)loading a shipping container.

At this point I know that I need to use a trucking

company
or pay door-to door service to

Matson
.Don't have the exact quote,but it could be about $1200.

So my ? is :

Would it be any substantial savings to use a trucking company

or it's more hassle than savings?

I'd be interested myself but it shouldn't be to hard to get quotes from both? Possibly the weight of the container might play in as well. We did 17 operable skylights on Kahala Mall 20 yrs ago shipped from CA and our container was soo heavy they charged us extra!

Black And White
Closer To Free
Thank you,Blend.
I don't think Matson is charging by weight,unless it's something unusual.
My take on the PW info that most people who posted their experience used door-to-door service.(I might be wrong).
Hire a couple of Gorilas and unload it yourself, two - three hundred dollars and you are pau.

The Lack

The Lack Toons
I have never had a container drop off and pick up in Puna for more than $300. I have always used Conen's Freight.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Stillhope,
I know you tried to email me...I assume it is about this topic....anyway, I used West Point Relocation door to door. I am still a little confused what they mean by door to door since they keep mentioning they are simply going to drop my container at my house even though I paid for door to door. I am not real happy with them....I was told my delivery would be this week and when I called them (5 times) I never got an answer until Friday after waiting around all week. Supposedly my stuff is here in Hilo, they just can't get to it.
Hope you are well, Andy
Andy,

You might want to throttle back and start getting used to scheduling in Hawaii. "This week" usually means Maybe Friday at best; probably next week and if we can't get to it for X reason, then for sure the following Tuesday. Hit the beach.

What did you expect "door to door" meant?

Dan

P.S. Often a personal visit to see your container and establishing a personal contact is very valuable. Go and talk some story with the dispatcher. Phone calls are often much less fruitful.
Hey Daniel,
Definitely getting into the Hawaii time frame groove....thanks for the advice! I am definitely on my way to the beach!

Take-care, Andy
welcome to West Point's web of lies...we got the runaround too...same lies, it's in Hilo...it's in Kona...it was someone else's stuff...on & on & on....in the end,we finally got our stuff a month after the initial date they PROMISED.And also,we had 2 days to unload,not the week they PROMISED,before they came back to get the container.It was ridiculous & we had to go & re-buy basics...pots,air mattress,pilows,blankets,plates,utensils,etc just to be able to get by until we could have our stuff.A bunch of lying weasels,who have gotten very good at their lies...they string you on & are very very nice on the phone,telling you what you want to hear,but basically...you wait! As for door to door....forget it! The container is dropped off & you are left to your own way of unloading....warning: do not use their guys...they are union & will cost you a fortune. We got 2 young strapping lads,who were friends of friends,to do it all....took 2 hours or so & gave them $70 each & they were totally cool. Sorry this happened to you,but like others have said here....welcome to Hawaiian time.
Thank you,everyone.

Looks like I was wrong about people using mostly one service.
Looks like using a trucking company is better.

Rob,thank you for the info on the trucking company you used.

Andy,glad to hear from you.