Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life In Waa Waa
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
...but what you said earlier about burglars being caught "before they even get near a house" doesn't sound too promising!
Tell this to the family of Dana Ireland.[Sad!]

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

I wonder if Dana would have survived had Medical Response come in a timely manner after the Waa Waa resident who found her reported her situation. Nice to have a fire station etc in Puna now… eh? Hilo was too far away. She is one of a few known people who have been dumped there after these criminals committed their crimes elsewhere. There was a man killed in Nanawale Estates and his body and car were driven down to Waa Waa and burned on one of the vacant beach lots driveways. Another such messed up situation I was told is what caused the beach access trail to be abandoned and left to grow over. So… yes there is talk about how to put a stop to such activity.
A paved road won’t fly, but there are other alternatives.

As per burglars getting caught before they get to a house... that has happened a time or two from what I've heard. Because of the relative remoteness (approximately 2 miles each direction nothing but forest) there's a double edge sword. Residents know if you don't belong and outsiders think that it’s so remote no-one will notice them. So it’s a plus and a minus, depends on how you look at it.

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
As per AC in a single insulated room... they widely make retail 120vac AC units that consume as little 2.1 amps/250W @ 1000BTU. Some can be converted to DC direct to reduce power consumption even more.
This is plenty to cool off and dehumidify a small properly insulated room.

Yeh you could cool a room of about 10ft by 10ft as long as it had no windows,but what is the point?
A small fan would provide cooling for less or you could try using a ceiling fan.

So to summarize for Jake.

1.Waa Waa has an unpaved road that you claim is ok for cars and those of us who live in the area know it as an impassable quagmire during the rainy season.
2.Waa Waa is a jungle area where people dump their trash,old cars,appliances and human bodies.We all agree on this.
3.There are a few mosquitoes and maybe a few other bugs.
Are you kidding? The mosquitoes will drain your blood during certain times of the day.
4.It has a private beach. Hah Hah Hah We wll be researching all of the old government road claims to get this opened back up .
5. Someday ,someone will be injured in an accident along the Waa Waa road and they will sue the county of Hawaii for not making improvements.The road will be improved ! The only reason the road has not been improved , is it acts as a deterrent to keep people out, much like a gate.
quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele kane

I wonder if Dana would have survived had Medical Response come in a timely manner after the Waa Waa resident who found her reported her situation. Nice to have a fire station etc in Puna now… eh? Hilo was too far away. She is one of a few known people who have been dumped there after these criminals committed their crimes elsewhere. There was a man killed in Nanawale Estates and his body and car were driven down to Waa Waa and burned on one of the vacant beach lots driveways. Another such messed up situation I was told is what caused the beach access trail to be abandoned and left to grow over. So… yes there is talk about how to put a stop to such activity.
A paved road won’t fly, but there are other alternatives.

As per burglars getting caught before they get to a house... that has happened a time or two from what I've heard. Because of the relative remoteness (approximately 2 miles each direction nothing but forest) there's a double edge sword. Residents know if you don't belong and outsiders think that it’s so remote no-one will notice them. So it’s a plus and a minus, depends on how you look at it.

She would have survived if Waa Waa had a paved road and phone service.

There was a fire station in Pahoa at the time.They were on another call.It happens all the time.
Murder in Paradise by Chris Loos details a whole series of things that delayed response: lack of a phone to call the police, that there was no 911 system, that the police and fire could only communicate through a dispatch, that the directions given were garbled, that the Pahoa ambulance was en route to Hilo hospital with another injury, and the ambulance had to come from Kea'au (not Hilo). The problem that could still occur as of 2009 is that the fire dept. went down there thinking she was just a ways on Govt. Beach Rd from Hawaiian Beaches, end of pavement. When they found out it was two miles the captain wanted to get the all terrain rescue vehicle, because he thought the ambulance would be damaged by the road. The Rescue vehicle was in Hilo, so they finally took the ambulance in, slowly.

It was a whole chain of delays, but the condition of Govt. Beach Road on that Christmas Eve was part of it.
The resident who found her wasn't able to report it, due to having no phone, and had to wait until she flagged down a neighbor who could go to a phone. Now that people have cell phones it would be different, especially with a 911 system.

Our system is still not that great. As I found out when my neighbor had a stroke that he thought was a heart attack. He was on his home phone which is tied into the system and they're supposed to be able to locate people but it took them over an hour to figure out which driveway belonged to the house number, even though there was a mailbox on the paved road. Go figure.

It's a factor living outside of Hilo that it's going to take longer if you need to get to the hospital in a rush, and the more remote you live, and the more unmarked and not tied in to the grid, the longer. And an ambulance may not come up your road. Something to think about for people who want to retire there, one more factor to weigh.
Kathy made excellent points and I agree 100%.
Has the fire department began using the Emergency Services GPS locator system yet?
I didn't notice any computer and gps systems in the police cars but wasn't paying any attention last trip out.
Has the police department adopted that system yet?\

Regarding availability of low energy consumption AC for direct PV (bypassing the inverter), etc. There are many other manufacturers of these types of systems also.
http://www.encoreenergyinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=149

Alternative solar based cooling methods
Absorbtion Chillers:
http://www.encoreenergyinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&Itemid=148

Resident response regarding our question on raod maitenance invoice recently recieved (voluntary pay) and about the road conditions to and through Waa Waa with a regular car.
" It's legit. Some of us even help spread the gravel! The road's always passable..."

Another way:

Our association has taken the lead in emergency first aid, training and and evac response. In our remote canyon we "host" many accidents as the "kids" go "off road" and end up in a trees, Mountain Lions eat the mountain bikers and assorted rattle snake & scorpion bites. In the butt being the common location for both species btw. Yes they sit on them. Also add to the work load. (did you know - anti venom is 20K $ per series!)

Being five miles up a wash, the county always getting there dollar short, day late, bad news in a major bleed or snakebite incident.

I understand the issue... having worked emergency response .... In addition to communication and distance issues self inflicted (as remote lifestyles tend to be) issues always receiving just a little less priority than a true "accident" in the mainstream areas. Its human nature.

To overcome the slow response times. Members took local action as a group installed repeaters and carry a frs radios in every car, cabin and hike (no cell for up to 1 mile from the area)

We also built a helipad.

The association position being ...

We decided to move into the boonies, we will take the responsibility for our own actions and save our own hineys thank you very much.

Pretty the much the credo off most "off grid " folks that I know by the way. We moved out of the "civilization" .... we don't expect them to bail us out if we make a mess.

In the meantime having our own infrastructure we practice our response times on tourists and remove impaled toyota tacomas' from trees for sport.

Aloha