Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiking boots
I have a pair of Adidas hiking boots but they were no good for hiking over slippery roots and rocks. It can be pretty dangerous and I don't really look all that "manly" falling backwards after slipping on tree root[Big Grin]

Anyone have a recommendation of a good brand of boot for hiking?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
It's all about the sole. I've put in hundreds of miles on trails in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and elsewhere and found that you can't go wrong with a good ol' Vibram sole (the ones with a yellow insignia on the sole's instep).

The problem is, Vibram makes a variety of different compounds. The softer ones have better grip but don't last as long on rough lava, and vice-versa. You'll need to figure out which trade-off you prefer, depending on the type of terrain involved. Of course, if you don't hike much on lava, you might not need Vibram's durability.

Ah yes falling and dislocating my pinky finger first step on to the Pololu muddy trail (yikes). Some people use those felt booties that you can add to your boots but I haven't tried them yet. If I know its gonna be really muddy or wet I def. think about using my treking poles for extra stability.
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

Anyone have a recommendation of a good brand of boot for hiking?

The "must have" boot for wildland firefighters, foresters, loggers, and other people who hike in the mountains for a living are White's SmokeJumpers:

http://www.whitesboots.com/store/Whites_Boots.php

Kinda pricey, but they're worth it, if you're serious about hiking. Good ankle support, soft upper, bullet-proof knobby sole. Don't get the "rough-out" finish if they're going to be wet most of the time. They're custom-built to your foot tracing (you don't order 9-1/2 "D", you trace your foot on a piece of paper), and if you thrash 'em after ten years or so, you can send them back to the company, and they'll rebuild the boot brand new cheaper than buying a new pair. I only had to get mine rebuilt once in a 32-year career. These really are the Cadillac of work boots, or rather, the Caterpillar. ;-)

The easy way to break them in, serious business, is to lace them up snug, then wear them into the shower (or stand in a bucket of water for 5-10 minutes), then walk or hike until they're dry. Not much fun, but it works. It conforms the leather to the shape of your foot. They wind up fitting more like gloves than boots.

Aloha! ;-)
Aloha! ;-)
Mgeary,
Looks like "The Hiker" is going to be the best pick. I think the taller boots might look a bit out of place in Hawaii. I'm amazed anyone could keep a pair of boots for 32 years, that's really saying something for this company.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I've always had great luck and longevity with the LL Bean Cresta hikers, which have a combination of gore-tex fabric and leather. They breathe but are also waterproof:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=gore-tex-cresta-hikers&categoryId=13282&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503392&cat4=505552&shop_method=pp&feat=505552-sub2&np=Y

Extremely comfortable, and mine have lasted about a decade so far. Also kinda pricey, though, at about $180. LL Bean has some that are cheaper and lighter, also.