Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catchment Blues
Chances that the blue would be from the roof are slim, but if the catchment water is blue then:
Check the roof - is it a copper metal roof that has a verdigris patina or has it been repainted a blue color?
Check the catchment liner - if it is blue & not in good condition, then that is something to check out

Most likely roof paint & liner failures will give you flecks or flakes of blue, not a water color blue look.

If the catchment water is blue & the roof nor liner seem to be the culprits, then it may be that the water was treated with an algaecide, and it is not to be used for any food prep (CuSO is not overly bad, but probably was not food grade type used...)
I have 7500 gallon tank in HPP, I use 2 cups of baking soda every other week, and 1/4 cup bleach, added 2 days later, I've never had a problem, my tank is 10 years old and it looks like the day we bought it. I used car polish on the outside to prevent it from rusting. Our water always looks like the water in a swimming pool and the water is not harsh on the skin and it smells fine. We have a double filter, one string, one paper, we change them every other month. Good luck.
Thanks again for all the great advice. The landlord has decided to go with a reputable catchment cleaning professional. He's looking for a good cleaning and "overhaul" (damage check/repair, replace filters, etc.). Upon further review it looks like maintenance hasn't been done in a long time...

Anyway, tried calling Lucas Catchment. Left a message a couple days ago but no response. (On vacation?)

Any other recommendations for good catchment cleaning services? Mahalo in advance.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Definitely Steve's Catchment 966-7945, 937-7882. He was on time, thorough, fair price, did I say he was on time AND showed up when he said he would. He even came back on his own time to make an adjustment that was not his fault. The job was more difficult than expected, e.g. soaking wet carpet under the liner they were removing; but he stuck to his original price. I highly recommend him for cleaning, liner removal or new setup. PS, I'm not a friend, relative or getting a kickback; just a happy customer.
Thanks Dory, I'll give 'em a call!
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius