Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punaweb forum questions
quote:
Originally posted by 808blogger

For knowing nothing about me thats pretty silly to post. i was asking QUESTIONS i asked for technical information. I get a bunch of emotional babble... only ROB has answered properly.

I would offer to DONATE some help but seeing as how you guys like it the way it is...

Ahhh, yes, . . . the snide samaritan. Except I didn't see any offer of help, only criticism.

Originally posted by 808blogger

Except in the most fringe areas in puna, you can get fast internet imho, it MAY TAKE SOME CREATIVITY ON YOUR PART but its there for you.

Uhhh, really? Ever been to Puna, 808?

And, regarding the cult of personality, . . . if there were anything like that here, how could we all post such differing viewpoints?
I've talked to my neighbors. They all have the same problem. No fast internet.
Next suggestion, please. Yes, I have called HTel and the cable companies.

Where do you live, downtown Hilo?
I live in the boonies like you and have 7 meg dsl,
i ASSURE YOU 100% that someone around you has internet, you guys could cooperate and share it all with antennas and wifi, in hpp someone around you has dsl, walk around with a wifi scanner and then locate some wifi and talk to them, dont just use it. oftem times just paying someones internet bill will help them get an antenna pointed at your house Smile

if you have a friend on the same CO as you with internets you can get a "bell and buzzer" loop to them (3$/month) and hook up some SDSL boxes.

you can always get a t1,

also dont forget if hitel QUALIFIES you for dsl but is out of bandwidth, you can get internet, your persistence is what is keeping you offline in that case.
There is a wide variety of experiences regarding internet, cell phone and cable services in Puna. It is something that the Puna Community Development Plan addresses and pushes for wifi throughout the district. Perhaps it will happen some day. Until then we all work with what we have and can afford.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rob,

can you contact me offline (i know you have my email address) re information that you just posted. How involved are you with this?

HTel told me that I will never be able to get DSL where I live.
I don't understand how they can say that, but that's what they said.

Even if I could find broadband near me (doubtful), if too many people share it then it's not broadband anymore. But thanks for the suggestions!
DSL has a distance limitation. The distance has improved over the last few years but it is also partly based upon the quality (age) of the copper wire that runs to your house from the CO (CO=central office).

Unless you are totally surrounded by tall trees, you can get satellite broadband. Hughesnet is currently offering free installs. I used a Pahoa zip code on their web site to check. More expensive than DSL, but with the way graphics are being used now (except this forum) it is about the only option you have.

808blogger is correct. It is relatively easy for 2 or more people to share a connection. A few hundred $ investment pays off for all involved.
Speed is fine by me. Keep up the ggo job.

Loren Baker
Loren Baker
baker4puna.com
I called the hellaphone company and the reception was static, and they suggested to try the Iphone connection!

mella l

"New York London Paris Hilo"
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA