Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
County Band Killed
The County Band is chump change compared to the sort of endemic ineffficienies and inside contracting deals that Rob mentions. Rob's concerns are the stinky 5000 pound elephant in the room that the Mayor and administration studiously ignore while they ceremoniously swat the mosquito on the elephant's rump that the Band is. They somehow think that by swatting the mosquito we will applaud them and not notice the stinky elephant.

Having said all that, I don't really care if they abolish the band. That sort of thing should be a private, non-profit venture of some sort.

Anarchy is under-rated, Glen. Some government/public institutions (like the Hawaii pubic schools and certain elements of the CoH) are so far gone that mere reform seems inadequate. At a certain point abolition and complete reconstitution from the ground up becomes an attractive option. Of course, this is "impractical" Libertarian theory and would be too horrifically messy in practice for most citizens. The recently missed opportunity for a Constitutional Convention would have been more palatable to most folks. For me, on the other hand . . .
you know did i miss something? because you pretty much describe the USA/HAWAII as it is now.

As far I am aware the Federal REserve and IRS are both corps.

also as is the "State of Hawaii" and the "County of Hawaii" both are corporations.

dont pay your "Property tax" the "County of Hawaii" and dudes with GUNS will show up to take "your" property for not paying your mandated protection/service fees. so maybe they dont grow pineapple on it but they will take it from you.

and besides dont mix up "People" with "Persons" because in the court system you are views as a "Person" not a human, guess what else qualify as legal "Persons" corporations do.

I'm sorry, but what you are trying to defend is logically un defendable.

quote:
Originally posted by Glen
[br That power vaccum will be replaced by corporations which will, figuratively, knock you off your land and have you working on a pineapple plantation before you can turn around to spit.

I suspect that the band can be justified for the good it provides the community, perhaps as an attraction for the tourists industry as well. Perhaps if renamed Hawaii Community Band it would garner more support. Wouldn't have to fire very many county bigshots to cover their budget.

BUT.....
Perhaps the Mayor et al are on to a way to balance the budget, maybe even lead to a surplus. How? Just follow this same line of thinking.

Let's get the county out of ALL touchy-feelly/artist activities.

County should immediately turn overall park and recreation activities and locations to community based volunteer organizations. Zero the budget and completely disband the P&R Division. This would result is saving all the budget devoted to same except the lingering pension benefits. Let the community organization be 100% responsible. I suspect community pride would result is better maintained facilities. Any existing facility that does not generate enough community support can be closed, maybe even sold generating more $$$.
Of course, this turn over would have to come with a set of basic guidelines/rules to insure the public/community interest is protected.

These community supported parks could become real assets. Some examples: Each park area can contribute to our sustainability. As appropriate, each area can become a food site, growing fruits, vegetables, harvest from the shore. Such bounty can become the catalyst for an onsite farmers market, pulling in additional bounty from the surrounding area. Labor can be from the community volunteers, set up a program of labor in exchange for food to help those lacking cash, even accept EBT cards.
Sites with adequate facilities can become controlled homesites for the homeless, with exchange of services to "pay" for living there.
The community band ought to get first dibs on the bandstand area in exchange for a schedule of free concerts and the license to hold pay at the gate events.
All sorts of activities, classes, cultural events, meeting could take place at the parks, further reducing any need to remove property from the tax rolls or violating SUP/zoning issues as discussed in the SPACE thread.
The more you consider it, this type of change has little downside and potential for great things for our county. Done right, we could become the role model for the rest of the state.

Community assets administered by community volunteers for the betterment and enjoyment of the community at no cost to taxpayers.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident