Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drug resistant Staph
Lepto is in fresh water streams and comes from feral pigs and goats upstream. If you go swimming in a fresh water stream don't dip your head underwater.
If I ever get into the hot pond again I would keep my head above water also.
Don't get in if you have an open cut either.

I also had a look at the state maps for Cesspools in Vacationland.
Every Permanent residence there has one.
They're way to close to the water.
Talk about yuk factor.
I'm not snorkeling there again.

One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Where is leptospirosis found?

Leptospirosis occurs worldwide but is most common in temperate or tropical climates. It is an occupational hazard for many people who work outdoors or with animals, for example, farmers, sewer workers, veterinarians, fish workers, dairy farmers, or military personnel. It is a recreational hazard for campers or those who participate in outdoor sports in contaminated areas and has been associated with swimming, wading, and whitewater rafting in contaminated lakes and rivers. The incidence is also increasing among urban children.

quote:
Originally posted by kimo wires

Lepto is in fresh water streams and comes from feral pigs and goats upstream. If you go swimming in a fresh water stream don't dip your head underwater.
If I ever get into the hot pond again I would keep my head above water also.
Don't get in if you have an open cut either.

I also had a look at the state maps for Cesspools in Vacationland.
Every Permanent residence there has one.
They're way to close to the water.
Talk about yuk factor.
I'm not snorkeling there again.

Is that a recent map? There are many septics (6 that I knew specifically of) in these days as it is now a requirement for above 10'. aerobics for below 10' elevation.
http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/env_mng/kapoh...er%205.pdf
here's the link all the yellow ones are EXISTING cesspool.
ewwwwww
MRSA has been around the USA for a long time. We were dealing with it in the hospitals in the 1980's. Now it is endemic throughout much of the world, much like Hepatitis B. I am not negating the significance of the problem, only making a point that it is not new.

MRSA stands for Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus. It has developed a resistance to penicillin-derived antibiotics and is becoming more and more resistant. It has been suggested, though certainly not proven, that the antibacterial soaps we began using in the late 90's may have contributed significantly in the USA to the exacerbation of the resistance. Staph is generally on most people's skin. When we us antibiotics indiscriminately and antibacterial/antimicrobe products regularly, we help produce resistant forms of biologics.

The old Florence Nightingale axiom that we best resist the spread of infection by handwashing vigorously with soap and water holds true today. She was a smart old broad! I think that MRSA was slow to come to the islands as these products were also slow to come here. Now that every school kid brings a couple to school each year in the (I think) ridiculous list of what families need to contribute they are clearly over-used.

So, do yourselves a favor. Do not use the antimicrobial/antibacterial soaps unless you have an open cut/wound. Just use plain old soap and warm water and lather up. It is better for us all.

Smile

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Thanks for that. It was interesting, map was not that correct on the permanent residences and wastewater systems - they must have collected the data 2-3 years ago at least (even though produced report is Jan 2010) and they do note it came from DOH with incomplete records, but they have the general drift.

What was really interesting is that Vacationland has more aerobic systems than Beach lots.
Your welcome. I seriously doubt that any of these systems have been upgraded.