Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaumana City
HELLO ALL, NEWCOMER TO THE PUNAWEB, HOPFULLY NEW COMER TO THE "ISLAND" SOMETIME MID SUMMER. HAVE BEEN READIN' ALONG FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS NOW. SEEMS LIKE A GREAT VIRTUAL COMMUNITY. AM IMPRESSED HOW HELPFUL MANY OF YOU ARE. I AM LOOKING AROUND FOR SOME LAND. WANT TO STAY KINDA CLOSE TO HILO (25 MILES) OR SO. HAVE BEEN SEEING SOME GOOD PROSPECTS IN KAUMANA CITY. WONDERIN' WHAT YOU ALL MIGHT HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS AREA. WEATHER AND TEMP./RAIN AS COMPARED TO HILO. ALSO CRIME AND GENERAL NEIGHBORHOOD INFO. WHAT ELEVATION ETC. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL INFON.
THANKS AHEAD OF TIME.
BILL

Kaumana is an extention on Hilo, up the saddle of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa from 1,000 feet at Akolea Rd up to around 2,500 feet at Ola'a Flume trail. It is cooler (highs from 80's to 60's upper) & wetter than lower Hilo (it is closer to the inversion layer that creates the rains on the east side). It has some Country Club estates & some rustic housing areas. In between runs the gammit. Some lots have drop dead gorgeous views of Hilo bay, others not. Lot sizes are variable by the area you are looking at. Saddle road through Kaumana is very good, and it is an area that researchers that work at the observatories live at, as do some of the University professors.
Aloha, Carey

Edited by - Carey on 01/14/2007 21:25:11
Aloha Bilanali,

When selecting the distance to be from Hilo, take into consideration that we have no highways or tollroads here. All of our roads are what would be considered "secondary" roads and the speeds are significantly slower. The highest posted speed limit in the state is 55 and most roads are slower than that.

Kapoho is within 25 miles of Hilo isn't it? How long does it take to get from Kapoho to Hilo? We live 29 miles from Hilo and it takes an hour to get there.

A hui hou,
Catz

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Thirty five to forty minutes on a good day from Kapoho to Walmart.

HEY, THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE RESPONCE. I AM RRYING TO GET A FEEL FOR A GOOD PLACE TO SETTLE. NOT PARTICULARLLY SET ON THIS LOCALE. I HAVE A FEW KIDS TO GO TO HIGHSCHOOL AND A MIDDLE SCHOOLER. MY WIFE IS A TEACHER AND I AN ELECTRICIAN. WE WANT TO BE CLOSE ENOUGH TO HILO FOR SOME CONVIENCE AND I WILL PROBABLY BE WORKING IN THAT AREA. I HAVE LOOKED AT A WHOLE BUNCH OF WEB SITES WITH A WHOLE BUNCH OF PROPERTY AND NEIGHBORHOOD INFO. JUST NOT THE KIND YOU CAN HANG YOUR HAT ON. WE WILL BE OUT TO "VISIT" IN SPRING, AND PROBABLE RENT FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE MONTHS TO SEE/FEEL FIRST HAND. JUST WANT TO GET A LITTLE LOCALE ADVICETO HELP WITH WHERE TO GET STARTED.

bilanali

First advice is to PLEASE not type in all caps - considered shouting, impolite, difficult to read.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
aloha all,

bilanali, are you familiar with hawai'i in general, or the big island? have you been to hawai'i? you have kids? have you researched the schools? do as much homework as you can now, as hawai'i is not the mainland, and alot of things can suprise malihini's when they arrive, if they're not prepared.

good luck!

:?)

hello again,
i guess i better get used to saying aloha instead. sorry for the "YELLING" earlier. i never thought of my lazy "all caps" as yelling but i agree now tht you mention it. anyway, to answer you questions holahan, i have been to molokai only. i have done what seems like a whole lot of research on the different areas of the island. i have looked at the school system as best i could. from the perspective of size, grades serviced, ratings and reviews, there seems to be only so much i can deduct from data. i have read some blogging and i have read "affordiable paridise", and i receive the "tribune" from hilo at my home so i read it from front to back. including the sales ads to try to get a feel for the place. we will be visiting soon as i mentioned and then renting in the hilo area for some time until we can get a good feel for where we want to live/kids to go to school. hoping mostly to get some input on some of the first hand knowledge of schools(like the keaa high school thing)and neighborhoods that might help me to narrow /sharpen my search. thanks in advance,
Bill

You need Laura K's help. Is she still around ??
[quote]
You need Laura K's help. Is she still around ??

ok nate, who is laura k?