Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free wi-fi in or near Pahoa town?
I'm looking for any free wi-fi hotspots in Pahoa or Nanawale. Does anybody know of any?
mcdonalds? burger king? library? coffee shop? Or you could just drive around in hawaiian beaches with your lap top and try to find an open wireless router that's hooked up to road runner.
Hilo library told me they don't wifi. I always go cruisin for hotspots. But if the State can't balance the budget that's the first thing they should cut out.
"Free" always sound good- the downside I heard about was the security issues with free wifi. Any good adice about this? I take it to mean you can browse amazon but not a good idea to purchase online. So gotta keep buying in brick&mortars, arrange for auto bill pay so don't have to expose your info each month like that.
I just did that jig. Choice number one go get your morning Java at Puna Java right in Pahoa town and its free w/ cafe purchase. Next best is McDonalds free in Keaau but not to laid back a setting, or you can pay the exorbitant $8/hour w/ Aquired Wireless in lots of places on the island. Starbucks way back in Hilo are your next 2 best locations.
Thanks all - maybe I'll visit BK, hopefully can pick up the wi-fi in the parking lot - wouldn't want to besmirch my reputation by actually entering or god forbid eating there.[Big Grin]
Tada: I'd like to know more about the security (well, lack of it) when using free wi-fi. Does that mean when you pay for internet use, like at an internet cafe, there is better security?
I dunno about security. About the only security concern I hear about is if you were to do something truly anonymous on the internet ... like e mail someone with no trace, you can do it on a public wifi as there is no trace from an IP address back to you. Yes, you can even clone your mac address for the ultra paranoid. But... as for security about banking or sending your credit card info over the net on a public wifi hot spot, as long as it's encrypted your just as safe doing it as on your own private wifi connection. The only other concern would be leaving your system exposed to somehow another customer could hack into your computer that shared the same connection but as long as your windows is up to date and your not sharing out your drive shares I can't see you being any less secure on a public vs. private wifi connection.
My response based on the WSJ column last week the 3rd question-

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...11104.html

I have to come clean I never connected to a hotspot. But I'm plotting all the time how to cut cost in my old age. Maybe somebody who been there like TJ or anybody else can respond to the column. I reckon if you spend 1-2 dollar a day for the coffee which is my drug of choice anyway is much cheaper than roadrunner. The new McD's in downtown Hilo look so much nicer for wifi experience more like a starbuck's but a little out of the wway.
I don't think BK has Wi-Fi signal in Pahoa which I believe I tried when there last week. If you are that far def. stop in and pay for a good cup of coffee at Puna Java if you want a relaxed way to do the internet. My best internet experience was the Starbucks on Kilauea Road in Hilo which has nice bench seats w/ plenty outlets below each table and nice and dark (no glare on the screen). If you are doing a tour of the Hilo to Puna having your morning coffee at those places is not too much to pay. I'm at Starbucks right now in Denver and they never make me pay to use the internet and I get a snack or coffee when I feel like it.