Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vog?
It seems voggy down here the last week or so but when I look here:

http://weather.hawaii.edu/vmap/hysplit/index.cgi?banner=uhmet&domain=haw&variable=so2&orient=

it is moving away from us and when I look here for the weather: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/hi/flash-wv.html

the wind and water is moving towards us from the south west

Come on Smarty pants punawebbers, can some one explain this to me?
Sea fog
I don't know what is in the air, but I have developed an allergy to it in the last several weeks and it is driving me crazy. I have never had an airborne allergy like this.
I thought that since the Puu Oo collapse that sulfur dioxide emmisions really tapered down. Would think VOG would be much better. The air quality readings in Pahala and Ocean View are much better than they have been in years.

Something else perhaps?
YES, I have no idea what is in the air, but it's something. A lot of people are complaining: coughing, congestion, headache, tired, sore throat, seems vog related. But the strong trades SHOULD be blowing it southwest of here. Hilo looks voggy, there's a haze everywhere, but the vog monitoring sites show little or no SO2 & particulates. The only thing I came up w/ is smoke from the ongoing fire at Volcanoes Park. Or, it could be we're all dying of radiation poisoning [Big Grin] just joking. Hope it clears up soon or I'm retreating to isolation w/ the Hepa Filter. [xx(]
Ah, yeah, could be the fire. Forgot about that. Amazing that a rain storm hasn't put it out by now.

All the particulate meters are PM2.5, for super fine volcanic ash particles.

Maybe the fire is putting out bigger particulates, and as such, aren't showing up on the PM2.5 meters.

There's my wild ass guess.
That's an idea about the fire ... I've been coughing too.

anyone else allergic to mango pollen? It's a common allergy, enough so that there's an island condition called "mango eye." Weepy, itchy eyes.

I'm intensely allergic to night blooming jasmine, and it had me down not too long ago. I figured out it was the jasmine after I had no allergies by day and then suddenly started itching and sneezing after dark. Went outside and caught the scent of it, mystery solved.

(not actually jasmine, it's real name is cestrum nocturnum)