Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tree removal
Anyone have suggestions on who I might get estimates for tree removal? It's an Albezia tree actually on my neighbors lot. It's pretty big and could fall partly onto our carport structure. Since we have gutters etc on our carport roof that contributes to our rain catchment, it could damage that system also. My neighbor is aware of the situation, and since I opened my big mouth and offered to pay half already, and he seemed fine with that, I'd like to gett estimates from bonded and insured companies to either do a big trim job or complete removal. Figured some here had gone through this amd may have suggestions.

Thanks, Jon

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Ka-Ching goes the cash register!! Not cheap. Sorry to say, I don't know anyone.

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

My neighbor had Tree Works (964-1026) do a major job removing 10 big trees and cutting back several others. I then used them to do a much smaller dead Ohias
removal and chipping of a hundred or so Waiwi trunks which I had whacked.
Definitely not cheap, but very professional and in business since 1978.
OTOH, I've used Allen Tree service several times for tree work, and much smaller operation will work by the hour. You'll find them every Sunday at the Maku'u Mkt where they have a booth. Ask for Wyatt.

-dwajs
-dwajs
After you get the big albezia removed, be sure to keep an eye on your neighbor's lot for small future trees. The owner of the lot in front of mine had it bulldozed a couple years ago, then never built on it. The consequence is now a FOREST of young albezias. I have to pay for the herbicide and send my handyman over to drill holes in the trunks and drip the herbicide into the small trees. This kills them pretty quickly. If I don't follow this process, the trees will spread even more and will quickly grow up. Then the limbs will be breaking and blowing onto my property, blocking my views, and endangering MY house. The herbicide is expensive and the labor cost is expensive, and I hate to have to spend the money to take care of a problem that someone else created. But it's the only way I know of to avoid an even bigger problem down the road.
Carol
Thanks, all. Actually I did pick up a card at the Makuu Market from Allen's. I'll have them do an estimate for us. Maybe I'll call Tree Works also.

jon

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Big Island Tree Service is very good.

Agree with Carol about taking care of the keikis as the come up. Girdle them when they are about 12 feet tall. They die and don't regrow.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
So you opened your big mouth and told your neighbor you'd pay half? Hmmm, so, in hawaii if a healthy tree that has been there falls over from a vacant lot onto your neighbors house... who's fault is it really?

I've heard different stories ... I guess it depends on the laws and the state. I would think it would be up to the house that got damaged to get heavy insurance in case a tree did land on it. Since who's to know when a tree or limb will snap?
quote:
Originally posted by Whitey

Agree with Carol about taking care of the keikis as the come up. Girdle them when they are about 12 feet tall. They die and don't regrow.

how does one girdle a tree?
I have tons of ironwoods I keep chain sawing down. would love to girdle them if someone could explain how.
thanks.
Controlling Undesirable Trees, Shrubs, and Vines in Your Woodland:

"Frilling or Girdling

Girdling and frilling are methods of killing standing trees that may be done with or without an herbicide.

Girdling involves cutting a groove or notch into the trunk of a tree to interrupt the flow of sap between the roots and crown of the tree."

http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0045.html
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Thank you for the information Rob.
Do you think this will work with ironwoods?
Also, what would you think the width would be for the ring? 1 inch enough?