Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello!
I rather enjoy reading about the wire thefts - especially when the perpetrators forget to disconnect the power - poetic justice

we aren't dealing with rocket scientists here, risking everything at a few cents a pound in salvage value.

Sad - these "critical thinkers" looking for their next score

Cause so much property damage for so little return
quote:
If the copper buyers were smart, they'd start registering their sellers before it becomes a mandatory regulation.

Should be required to show ID which should be digitally photographed along with a picture of the seller and the material scrapped. That should pretty much shut it down on an island. It works fairly well where I am now but we still have the problem of the thieves taking the goods to a salvage yard a couple of counties away.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Most smart buyers wont touch a meth head or ill gotten scrap if they want to keep a "good" business. The cops know who the players are....

like anything else its the greedy ignorant fringe element that keeps copper theft rolling, they will skirt the law no matter how painless the process - add some costs and its a non starter.

I really do prefer my copper thieves crispy - grin

happy new year
quote:
like anything else its the greedy ignorant fringe element that keeps copper theft rolling
Most scrappers tend to be fringe elements. They do provide a service, kind of like vultures keeping the roads clear of road kills, as long as scrap has value. You really don't want to get rid of them. Laws requiring the salvage dealers to record the sellers, as previously mentioned, does help. Most salvage yards will comply so they don't lose their license. Cases do get made from that process. These guys aren't brain surgeons. If steel had value there you wouldn't see old cars, washing machines etc. on the roadside.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I thought the HPD officer that posted the online hospital photos of Mr Krispy was doing a public service.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
As has been stated, copper theft, along with other metals like catalytic converter thefts, happen not just here, but are nationwide. Hawaii has toughen up their laws on copper salvage, and it is a felony to take large quantities "without permission"...

But the prices are high enough (not just a few cents, but real monry) to make it tempting....
NY Times covered this almost a year ago, inc. the legislation part....
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/us/08theft.html?_r=1