Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ending Hawaiian Electric (HECO) Utility Monopoly A
I went the state's legislature site to find out the status of the HELCO divestiture bill - HB 2400.

The latest notation - as of 2/2/2012 says: The committee(s) on EEP recommend(s) that the measure be deferred.

I'm not sure but a deferral does not sound encouraging. However, I freely admit that I don't exactly know what that means either.

Anyone have any idea?
It means that Helco gave key committee members first class tickets for themselves and their families to Vegas so that this bill will be "deferred".
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

It means that Helco gave key committee members first class tickets for themselves and their families to Vegas so that this bill will be "deferred".

Is there an article available to back that statement up; or is that just your opinion?

"Stop Whining! Vote with your money!"
"Vote with your money!"
quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

Uh, wanna end the 100 year monopoly? Go Solar.

If it were only that easy. I have a hot water solar system on my roof which I would love to swap out for a full-fledged home system.

The problem is my east facing set up is compromised by an eastern vacant lot filled with gigantic Albizia that effectively block access to the sun, especially at the zenith.

Until - possibly - now, I haven't had much recourse because all property owners had to do was make sure their branches did not overhang property boundaries.

I'm glad to see that Hawaii is considering bill HB 1720 - which if becomes law imposes penalties on property owners who allow new growth from their trees or other vegetation to block more than 10 percent of the sunlight on a neighbor's solar energy device between 10am and 2 pm. To say that I am a wildly enthusiastic proponent of this bill is a vast understatement.

California put forth pretty much the same bill and then Governor Arnie removed the "new growth" proviso and signed the bill into law.

I will be doing what I can for me and my likewise affected neighbors to help this bill become law.

I encourage anyone else whose residential energy is so compromised to do the same.

Mike in HPP
One thing about the Coffman bill is it sound suspiciously like the enron sponsored California dereg that they say precipitated the 2000 california blackouts. Maybe it'll work better without enron fratboys gaming the system.

But my idea is the first they should do is repeal the sacrosanct AE mandates.
"deferred" means "dead this session" unless a date for decision making is given. HB2400 did not make it from the House to the Senate yesterday, so it is dead.

I don't think you can say that HECO/HELCO has a monopoly when anyone can go solor and turn off the switch. If it were such a great business, their stock would be doing well, which it isn't. The state sets their rates, so they will always get a decent return, good times or bad, but they can't make any big bucks. They know that it is not a growth industry. But, they have sunk costs in the infrastructure that still yeald a profit.

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L
quote:
Originally posted by OrchidIslander

[quote]Originally posted by ericlp

I'm glad to see that Hawaii is considering bill HB 1720 - which if becomes law imposes penalties on property owners who allow new growth from their trees or other vegetation to block more than 10 percent of the sunlight on a neighbor's solar energy device between 10am and 2 pm. To say that I am a wildly enthusiastic proponent of this bill is a vast understatement.

California put forth pretty much the same bill and then Governor Arnie removed the "new growth" proviso and signed the bill into law.

I will be doing what I can for me and my likewise affected neighbors to help this bill become law.

Mike in HPP

So that's why all those lots are going for cheap on Makuu!
Puna: Our roosters crow first