Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Owning guns in Hawaii
Let me start by saying I realize the "G" word can be very incendiary and incite all kinds of debate about personal safety, constitutional rights, etc. That is not the intent of me starting this topic. I'm simply looking for information and advice. If somebody wants to debate the topic of gun ownership, whether you are for or against it, please start a new topic.

With that out of the way.......

I am a (former) gun owner and concealed weapon permit holder in another state and for various reasons am interested in becoming a gun owner in Hawaii. I've done some homework about Hawaii's gun laws and procedures. I realize that #1, I won't be obtaining a concealed permit in Hawaii since there is virtually no such thing and #2, Hawaii is a lot more restrictive than most states (I came from Oregon where gun laws are a lot more lax).

I see that I must obtain a permit just to buy a gun. A background check, 14 day wait, and gun safety course are all requirements to do so. As a law-abiding citizen the first 2 items aren't a problem to me. For the gun safety course, I had to take one to get my concealed permit about 6 or 7 years ago, but I'm going to assume that I still have to take one again here. That leads me to the first of 3 questions:
1. Where can I take one of these courses? I've heard Z Sports in Hilo offers them...

2. What gun shop or shops on island are recommended to purchase a firearm from? I'm looking primarily for a handgun but possibly a rifle too.

3. Where is it legal/recommended to shoot for target practice? I added the "recommended" because some places may be legal but cause concern among nearby residents who hear a gun being fired and don't know why.

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You can practice at the Ahalanui Hot Ponds parking lot. Sit on the benches and wait. If you see a car being driven away by someone other than the person who drove it in to the parking lot, shoot. Try not to hit the car.
Thanks Glen, though I can't help but think such things might end up with me being bunkmates with the same type of person I would be trying to stop. I appreciate the suggestion though.
I recently purchased a shotgun from John's Surplus. There was a background check and waiting period but no safety course required. That is for a hunting license, I think.

Jerry
Jerry
Art and Orchids B&B
http://www.artandorchids.com
Hi Adam,

If you are looking for a pistol you'll have to meet the State's handgun safety requirement. They might take proof from another state, I don't know. The State's hunters safety course is frequently packed with folks who want to meet the handgun safety requirement. As Hawaii is a "provide it for free" state (incendiary statement for fun) the hunters safety course is free. The next hunters safety course in the Hilo area is coming up in June and you should call them ASAP. The last one offered in Hilo was filled a few months in advance. The State's DLNR info is http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dcre/home.htm

AS for the rest of what you were asking, there is a gun club around somewhere as a co-worker of mine joined. While I don't have any suggestions on where to buy, I do know that Wall Mart sells a mean daisy red rider bb gun that is perfect for chasing unwanted chickens away...

Cheers,

Sean

See you in the surf
Buy it in another state....

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
HBAT
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Big Island Gun club applications from J. Hara store or Z sports.Talk to the people at the police reg. about laws. Good people! I don't like "John's Sportswear-surplus"!!!!Zane at Zsport has a very good gun course. Try to buy on line...!
God Glen... you are one of the funniest guys on the island!

quote:
Originally posted by Glen

You can practice at the Ahalanui Hot Ponds parking lot. Sit on the benches and wait. If you see a car being driven away by someone other than the person who drove it in to the parking lot, shoot. Try not to hit the car.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Adam79,

I just joined the Big Island Gun Club. They have an FFL. If you join you may be able to buy at a discount as they sell ammo at cost + 10%. I would suggest calling them and asking them questions in regards to their policies. There is only one place on this side of the island to shoot pistol/rifle. So supporting the club is something you will have to do anyway.

The Kona Forum
http://www.konaforum.com

Da Kine PC Repair Upgrade
http://www.DaKinePC.com

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former". --Albert Einstein
As for where a gun may be fired, a friend who was having some badly needed pig control done on his large chunk of ag-zoned rural property in Puna was told by a police officer that neither he nor anyone else can legally do so with a firearm. I guess a crossbow or bow and arrows are allowed.

Not sure how that reconciles with the apparent gun shots heard occasionally here in Orchidland and I'm sure many other subdivisions.