Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
ISS, Tiangong, Satellites Over Puna
And again tonight.  I've been seeing these announcements on Big Island Gazette web page:

Big Island residents can spot the International Space Station (ISS) tonight, Thursday, Dec. 10, (depending on clouds). It will be visible beginning at 6:18 p.m.  The station will be visible for approximately six minutes at a maximum height of 40 degrees.  The station will appear 10 degrees above the north northwest part of the sky and disappear 10degrees above the east southeast part of the sky.

ETA: Wowie zowie, did anyone else see this?  Brightest pass I've ever seen.  At least twice as bright as Jupiter and would have been visible with a just a casual glance at the sky.
Certainty will be the death of us.
Here is the "Spot the Station" web page for Hilo. I'm sure it would be similar throughout Puna. You can sign up for alerts.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=United_States®ion=Hawaii&city=Hilo#.X9OWV7d7mM8
Thank you, Chas. I didn't know about this.
Certainty will be the death of us.
There’s a relatively bright pass of the secret Air Force X-37B tonight, which is designed like a mini space shuttle.  While nowhere near as bright as the ISS, it’s more visible than usual.  If you saw the ISS the other night, the X-37B will follow a similar path:

Dec 12
Starts - 6:45 PM
Magnitude - 0.4 
Rises - NW, it will pass very close to Mars
Fades/Sets - SE

It’s mission is classified, so who knows what it will be up to as it passes overhead? The orbit is changed often, whenever the Air Force detects Chinese or Russian satellites moving into its path for a closer look.
"It’s mission is classified, so who knows what it will be up to as it passes overhead? The orbit is changed often, whenever the Air Force detects Chinese or Russian satellites moving into its path for a closer look."

I suspect this is quite likely, but do you have any evidence to back it up? I haven't heard anything about X-37B changing orbit in relation to other satellites, but then again, I haven't looked for reports about it.

PS. I'm sorry for the lack of ISS viewing predictions in recent months. The Iridium flares are just about over, but given the pandemic, working from home and dealing with UKIRT transferring over to the IfA at the University of Hawaii has kept me busy and somewhat drained of enthusiasm to keep those detailed predictions going. I'll get back on the job sometime next year I think. That's if people are still interested.
do you have any evidence

Yes, a former Secretary of the Air Force mentioned it in a speech:

Former Secretary of the Air Force Heather Wilson revealed to an audience last week that the X-37B spaceplane can pull off maneuvers in space that drives potential adversaries “nuts.”

Example: the Chinese military has located the X-37B in space and is maneuvering satellites to get a closer look at it. If the U.S. gets wind of the operation, spotting the approaching Chinese satellites, it could order the X-37B to change its orbit—ideally over South America—the opposite end of the Earth from China. The X-37B would simply fail to show up at the designated time, forcing the Chinese to reacquire the spacecraft and start the operation all over again.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/militar...disappear/
Thanks, HOTPE, much appreciated.
For early risers tomorrow morning, Wednesday, February 17th, at 6:00 AM there is a relatively bright -3.6 magnitude pass of the ISS, with a long 7 minute duration (weather permitting).  The 6:00 AM forecast for HPP is partly cloudy, so hopefully the space station will be visible somewhere along its arc:

Time: Wed Feb 17 6:00 AM
Visible: 7 min
Max Height: 55°
Appears: 10° above SW
Disappears: 10° above NNE
(02-17-2021, 04:49 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: For early risers tomorrow morning, Wednesday, February 17th, at 6:00 AM there is a relatively bright -3.6 magnitude pass of the ISS, with a long 7 minute duration (weather permitting).  The 6:00 AM forecast for HPP is partly cloudy, so hopefully the space station will be visible somewhere along its arc:

Time: Wed Feb 17 6:00 AM
Visible: 7 min
Max Height: 55°
Appears: 10° above SW
Disappears: 10° above NNE

Hey... thanks!  I saw this post about 5:50 AM this morning.  This was one of the best passes I've seen (Hamakua).  I walked outside at 6 and watched it go from west to east.  This was so bright that it didn't look like a point but rather a "+" which means I think I was seeing both the wings of the solar banks crossed with the main station.

The best ISS viewing for me was when the last Space Shuttle flight departed the station just before going overhead Hawaii.  The Shuttle passed and was followed by the ISS a few seconds later in roughly the same arc as this morning.  The Shuttle landed in Florida shortly after.

Thanks again HOTPE!
You’re welcome dan_c!
I thought it one of the better passes I’ve seen too.  The sky in HPP was clear, the ISS viewable across its entire path.  A good start to the day.