Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10
It's pretty serious now, it looks as though a tsunami is on the way.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/messages/ha...104650.txt

A TSUNAMI HAS BEEN GENERATED THAT COULD CAUSE DAMAGE ALONG
COASTLINES OF ALL ISLANDS IN THE STATE OF HAWAII. URGENT ACTION
SHOULD BE TAKEN TO PROTECT LIVES AND PROPERTY.

Yes, it's real now. The Tsunami Center just said they will sound the sirens tomorrow around 6 am and evacuate the coasts ... all islands ...
Kathy - where did you see or hear that - about the sirens?

I'm packing my bags and cats.
Tom, it's on KHNL, the Hilo based TV station.
saying type your address into www.scd.hawaii.gov

Kapoho Bay and all of Kaloli Point are in the zone. So is Honoli'i. And of course a big area of Hilo.
They do NOT know what kind of wave it will be, but they're not taking any chances, so they will evacuate. Saying for people to take personal papers, photos, meds, have 3 days food and water.
Right now they are telling people not to go surfing today. Seriously.

Also saying that a small wave in more southerly island groups means nothing, because tsunamis can wrap around small islands, but the Hawaiian islands are massive. In 1960 there was a very small wave at Christmas Island but 35 foot wave in Hilo and on to Japan.
They are actually telling people not to start moving too early but to wait until sirens at 6 am, which will give people five hours. YMMV.

Of course it could be nothing much is going to happen and more will be known in the morning than now.

Thanks, Kathy. I'm on Kaloli Point but a little bit back from the cliffs. I've got my stuff together and am ready to go early tomorrow morning - with the cats I hope.

Historically I don't think Kaloli Point gets the worst of the waves, but you can't plan for that. I hope the people in those expensive homes on the cliffs are preparing.

Let's hope the tsunami is weak when it gets here but we all know we're due one so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone when we finally get another large one. Hopefully people are educated enough about them by now and aren't going down to Hilo Bay in the morning to watch the waves.

Or surf them.

Tom
I hope so, Tom! I'm sorry you have to go through this, and everyone else, and I hope it turns out to be an exercise. As a cat owner I feel for you having to corral your cats.
Civil defense is telling people to have a week's worth of supplies. My son went to town to get gas and said the Walmart has quite a few cars waiting for it to open at 5 am. Town is buzzing. The news guy said the only people sleeping tonight are the people who aren't aware. I am going to sleep soon but I wanted to get ready for possible extended power outage.
I'm certainly not sleeping but I haven't heard anything from the neighbours, not even a car driving by. If I have to evacuate I think I'll pop by and tell them what's going on.

Tom