Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th
StillHope,

A new SUP would require the normal procedures, including input from the immediate neighbors and the public. All proposed facilities would have to meet current codes.

I am rather skeptical that SPACE could come up with the monies needed to meet current codes for the activities that they are engaged in; i.e. ADA bathrooms and paved parking, etc. to meet commercial codes. They are HUGE!

This would hardly be a rubber stamp approval as I think that you are implying. And, what's with the attitude?

Dan
Yes, there are at least two issues. One is the special use permit, which allowed them to permit some extra habitable buildings that wouldn't normally be allowed on an ag parcel that doesn't apply for additional farm dwellings. And it allowed them some activities.

However, according to the email that got shared, the County noted unpermitted buildings, and they need to sort out what is nonconforming (OK due to the date it got built), and what is new and unpermitted. Those unpermitted buildings have to be to code, and they also have to show the need to have them, which requires getting more uses of the land approved. Like Daniel says, will be expensive. They'll have to pull As-builts to get legal, won't they?

I looked at getting a B&B use permit once, on ag land, and the ADA-compliance requirements were challenging. Don't know what Space did in that regard when it built.

So if they built structures without permits, then they have two battles - one to appease zoning (PC), one to appease the Building Dept.
A long time carpenter in the neighborhood has told me that the structures are built to code, but still without permit. I cannot personally attest to the veracity of that statement, though it seems quite possible from what I have seen. But the condition of showing need in order to get the final approval is interesting. My understanding is that some of the unpermitted construction is on the SPACE building itself and some are residences within Belly Acres. I don't know anything about sheds and structures of that nature. I believe the HAAS satellite school is in unpermitted new construction, so theoretically, need could be shown for those, but I don't know how they can prove need of multiple unpermitted dwellings, one of the newest of which is quite close to the property line.
Sheeww 15 pages. Good thing that Tsunami thing came and went. Now to get back to tattling on each other.
Whats the record number of pages / views Rob ?

doing my part : )
aloha,
pog
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

Graham, I note that you chose to ignore my questions about the history leading up to getting your permit. You are monitoring this topic. Why not share some information?

Kathy, I intend addressing this as fully as time allows at the rescheduled March 6th meeting. Please attend.
Something previously posted by Mr.Ellis has been turning around in my mind, seeming not quite accurate and I just realized what it is. He claims "Space currently has off street parking for approximately 150-200 vehicles." but this is another misrepresentation of the truth. Currently SPACE uses two residential lots within Seaview for parking; this is one of the concerns mentioned in the filing with the county. The area within the special use permit has room for considerably fewer than 150 vehicles.
Some questions for the SUP process:

Is the waste water system adequate by the requirements of the SOH DOH for a school, and event center? And how will this be addressed? All the private schools had to address this issue in 2004. A cesspool is not adequate for this use, and neither is a residential septic system. All the effluent is heading right to the water since this location is fairly close to the ocean. (It is hard to believe any lots in Sea View can have cesspools but they do!!)

How will water issues be addressed? All schools have to have large drinkable water supply, and typically catchment does not suffice.

How do you address Fire Safety currently?

When this goes to the Planning Commission, I may attend meeting but otherwise, to me - it is the residents meeting on the 6th.

The school does not have drinkable tap water. Last year, a parent whose business is advanced water purification systems offered to completely set up a system for SPACE, asking only for the cost of supplies (about $600) but Mr. Ellis declined the offer.

The meeting on Saturday is ostensibly a meeting with residents, but two of SPACE's most vocal opponents will not be attending, due to one being on the mainland, and the other effectively silenced by being barred from the proceedings.
Thank you Graham, but like Kapohocat, I don't believe that I belong at the meeting on the 6th, and I am an hour's drive away. This topic was brought here by Rob in the form of a letter you wrote asking for support, and you and S.P.A.C.E. supporters have posted in it, so it seems reasonable to me that could give us a little information after this has been put to our attention and caused us to think about it. I started out with an open mind on this. I don't know peregrine and I don't know you. But at this point I am feeling like all you're doing is deflecting the questions.

I have heard so much about all the great work you do, how involved you are in community. I don't understand why you don't take a few minutes and answer questions. You took the time to prepare PR, but you won't engage in dialogue? The criticism from peregrine states that you won't engage with people who aren't part of the inner circle, and your attitude here is making me think she may have a point.
Dear Administrator, I see that page one of this forum contains an entry from peregrine that is a slanderous character assassination. You probably are aware that postings of this nature are most often removed from community forums. In the interest of advancing community discourse please do so. If the same user continues to make disruptive and slanderous posts then please also consider banning the user from this forum. Thank you for your time.