Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th
As I understand it a "village center" is a place for community but also commercial activities. If anybody here cares to to set me strait on that, I'd appreciate it. I think they classify the grocery store/gas station area north of Pahoa as that.

I don't know why it would be a good idea to have one of those in the very back of a subdivision with only one road going in and out of it. If the complaint from the neighbors is noise and traffic, then how does this help?

Lee Conroy Edwards
It doesn't.Sell your lot when you still can.May be those who have money for"commercial kitchen, industrial arts center" will buy it.
quote:
Originally posted by terry.way

Just finished a conversation with Graham. Interesting, rather than going for a modified SUP, they're going to apply as a Village Center, as allowed by the Puna Development Plan.

Which means all the neighboring parcels will also be included in the new village center designation.

Rob, correct me if I'm wrong, but "Village Center" isn't a specific lot but rather the floating designation for that area. Basically, wouldn't that mean the general area around SPACE can now be devloped individualy as commerical, industrial, residential as the property owners see fit since the boundaries are not lot by lot but area?
Great, it'd be real convenient to have a gas station and Burger King in that neighborhood too! <he said, tongue planted firmly in cheek...)

It's going to be very interesting watching this unfold...
Agreed Rich, the area needs more Burger Kings ... why should people have to drive to Pahoa to get a fix? ;-)

Thanks Bob, for your patient explanations. I truly appreciate them.

James Weathorford, thanks for straightening out the Daniel Boone stuff. I was going, what? No! Because I'm descended from Daniel Boone's uncle, my mom has collected lots of Boone family info, so I noticed too. Good point about the pioneer spirit, Rob.

As the Eagles said of that -
quote:
Who will provide the grand design? What is yours and what is mine?
There is no more new frontier; we have got to make it here.
http://lyrics.wikia.com/Eagles:The_Last_Resort
quote:
Originally posted by L. C. Edwards

As I understand it a "village center" is a place for community but also commercial activities. If anybody here cares to to set me strait on that, I'd appreciate it. I think they classify the grocery store/gas station area north of Pahoa as that.

A basic element of the Village Center idea, as developed in PCDP Steering Committee discussions, was that no body would have the zoning of their lot changed if they did not want that.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
quote:
Originally posted by KeaauRich

Great, it'd be real convenient to have a gas station and Burger King in that neighborhood too!

How about changing the name "Seaview" to "Burgerview"?
Sorry to redirect to another site:
For more info and description of village center go to:

http://www.hcrc.info/community-planning/...tricts.pdf
Did I read it right, if SPACE moves for village center designation, their neighbors can ask to be part of it and one can open a KFC resturant and another an ACE Hardware store, or even WalMart can buy a lot and open one of their Market-Side food stores?
quote:
Originally posted by StillHope

quote:
Originally posted by KeaauRich

Great, it'd be real convenient to have a gas station and Burger King in that neighborhood too!

How about changing the name "Seaview" to "Burgerview"?

Well, 'Seaview' has already been renamed 'Poleview.'

As far as I know, no hamburgers have ever been sold at the farmer's market. Veggie burgers, yes. Maybe 'FalafelView' or 'OrganicRawView' or something. Bellyacres still has a bit of the hippy-in-the-jungle vibe. I don't think you have to worry about corporate burger joints opening up any time soon.

Funny thing about the gas station. I talked with Graham about this a couple of years ago. The idea is this: brew ethanol! Use organic waste fruit from BellyAcres (organic farm) and brew hooch to be used in cars, lawnmowers, weedeaters. We got as far as downloading the forms from BATF. So yeah, you could say we were planning a gas station. Maybe about a gallon a month production?

People are intentionally moving next to SPACE: two houses built, at least, and I bought with the intent to be close.

This is a good start to a new conversation.