Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When you visit friends in Hawaii....
We have now weathered a deluge of mainland visitors, mostly family but also some old friends from my college days, and I have some insights to share with anyone who is thinking of visiting friends in Hawaii. Having friends or family to stay with in Hawaii is a blessing, if you want to be invited back try following a few simple suggestions:

#1 You may be on vacation, but your friends probably aren't.
A) Many people here in Hawaii get up early and go to bed early, so 9:30 at night is probably not a good time to settle down in the living room to recount your day's adventures. People who get up at 5 in the morning usually go to bed by 9.
B) Expecting your hosts to come home from work and cook dinner is asking a lot. Offer to pick up pizza, cook dinner or take them out. Do the dishes and kitchen cleanup. After all they are saving you the cost of a hotel room.
C) Clue your hosts into your time frames. If you are going to the Kona side, and won't be home for dinner, let them know. Nobody wants to come home from work and cook dinner for guests who never show up.

#2 Remember that EVERYTHING costs more here, TP, Paper towels, food, laundry and dish soap, and especially utilities. So turn out lights when you leave the room, take your dirty laundry home with you or take it to a laundry, replace what you use up. It shouldn't cost your hosts an extra $100 a week for you to have a great vacation in Hawaii.

#3 If the house is on catchment and a drought is mentioned, pay close attention to water use. That means short showers, efficient tooth brushing and dish washing, and generally being conscious about how you use water. Remember, if the water runs low it will cost $130 and a several day wait for water delivery.

#3 Don't send out snarky emails about the local culture to an email list that includes your hosts before you even send the thank you note.

#4 Do send a thank you note, if possible buy them that useful thing you noticed they needed for their house. Ask what they might need for you to bring them from the mainland that they can't get here.

#5 Do not lose or abuse your host's stuff. If they loan you beach equipment, towels, maps, guide books etc. treat it with respect and return it in the same condition you got it in. Your friends have that stuff for you to use because they invested in it, be responsible enough to make sure they get it back the same way you got it. That way, future visitors can also use those resources.

#6 If your hosts have pets, obey house rules. If the pets can't be on the furniture, don't encourage them to jump up there because you miss snuggling with your pets. If begging for people food from the table is against the rules, don't sneak scraps from your plate to the dogs. They aren't your pets, don't spoil them.

Don't get me wrong, we loved seeing our family and friends, but now that the bills are rolling in and we can't find my favorite bird book, I am realizing the true costs of everyone else's Hawaii vacation. It was great to see everyone, but I ended up working too hard keeping people fed and the kitchen clean, and ended up not getting anywhere enough sleep for most of the winter because our guests just didn't understand a few simple things about visiting in Hawaii.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol, that's why I bought a 1BD condo when I moved here![Wink][Wink][Wink]

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

We moved in the dead of night and left no forwarding address. Well, kind of. We only let a very select few people know where we were moving to. My mother never flies, and I would dearly love for her to come. No one else in my family has the money to come. And the select few friends that have been invited are meticulous about not abusing anything, we would love to have them come back more often.

Excellent post Carol. TG all guests aren't so inconsiderate, but then it only takes one.

I'll usually play the "bad guy" and set some rules early on. A few favorites:

We are off grid, so pay attention to anything electrical and no, you don't really need that hair dryer.
No smoking on the property. Smoking area is at the county road.
Yes, all the dogs know the rules, but they think it's fun to find out if you do.
Whose turn to play maid? I gave Sophie the day off.
No glass at the pool is for adults too.
Thanks for filling the gas tank before coming home, we never know when it might be an emergency.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
Carol, we have also had numerous friends, relatives & those that want to "stay while helping us work on our house"

We have found that most guests have no clue what they cost (one niece actually took 2 to 4 half hour hot showers a day.. and needed fresh towels after each... ) We figure that each guest will normally use over a KW of electricity extra each day they are here, plus food & essentials...

One thing that has become very apparent to me (mainly because people told me I need to do it) is to speak up & require that these guests realize that they are a liability on your resources BEFORE they come (just don't say something like "why, of course we would love it if you come!" one phrase I have caught myself saying...)

It is up to us as hosts to outline our rules & expectations & up to them to agree to them, before they show up at our door (even big hotels do this, using $$, so why shouldn't we, using common courtesies?) If they decide not to agree to our expectations, there are plenty of nice places that will gladly take their $$.

ETA: Also it is good to realize that some people will "forget" to tell you things.... like they really just quit smoking, so they may start back .... they didn't realize that they would get soo sweaty, so they need lots of showers... they cannot control themselves around an open liquor cabinet.... they're off this month, this is "my month to enjoy myself"...
Believe it or not, we have heard each and everyone of these... some from the ones that were here to "work"
Ah yes,

that is why I built an ohana behind my home. For family and friends from the mainland. It's all yours so please leave me alone, but enjoy yourself and say goodbye when you leave.

The Lack

The Lack Toons
Wow, cs, sounds like you are running a hotel. With friends like that, you don't need enemies. And you say you actually "loved" seeing these people? Sounds like my idea of the worst time ever, rude guests invading my home and looking for a servant.

We don't invite anyone to stay, and when we travel we stay in a hotel and do any visiting with people we know n the area in a restaurant. Costs about the same in the end, and is a lot less work for everyone. Since when does "host" = maid, slave, free meals, free hot water and clean towels every day?
Amen!
Carol,hopefully your guests will read that and will not come next time.
There's nothing wrong to set the rules upfront as David suggested.
Youser is right."Considerate" guests' expenses for buying gifts and taking the host family to dinner might equal a hotel stay.
That's what I'd prefer.
The last person to visit us showed up stating there were no rental cars to use. feeling bad, I lent mine to them ... They stayed in the lower part of the house with every light left on even when they were not there ...INCLUDING the Halogen motion sensor lights which turn on when the wind blows.

The CAR got used for several dump runs, packed a couple times with green waste and came back to me with the AC ( that I NEVER use ) stuck ON, and LESS gas then when lent out. I asked the person about the AC ..." Oh yeah, I felt it come on" was the reply .. I ended up cutting off the belt in disgust.

On the day we went to drop the person off.

"Lets get something to eat before I go." Went to lunch and when the check came, I reached for my wallet to pay as a gentleman ... and yep, NO resistance on that.

My wife and I sat there dumbfound ( or just dumb ) ... Did that just happen ? As the person wolfed down the food.

We moved out of his rental house shortly after. What respect we had for him blown to bits.