Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saddle Road Spinoff - Your Kona Favorites
You were talking about saving money at Costco & Kona trips, so I thought a new topic could address just that.

My favorite place to hit in Kona is the Outdoor Circle thrift shop & all the other thrift shops there. The quality of their "junk" seems better than it is here. Also, they have a great Habitat for Humanity resale store that has second hand furniture & building materials.

I always thought a good tour on ship day would be the "Thrift Shops Of Hawaii" tour.

[8D]
Love it, Love it!!! We hit those shops when we go over...March was good for that when we headed out to see the sea horses in Kona...got to pick up a few "can't live without them" items. LOL

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com
http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
I'm curious if anyone has really done the numbers and decided a regular trip to Kona is worth it.
I just can't see how it would save enough money, especially when you include the gas and Costco membership.
And it would have to be quite a saving to get me to spend 4 hours in a car, even if the view is nice.
Once every 6 months is enough for me.
I have done the numbers, and it is worth it for us to go to CostCo every other month. Of course, one has to know what is a bargain at CostCo and what is not. Some things cost the same or even more there. We have found that quality meats, most canned goods, dog treats (chicken jerky,) breads, no-cholesterol egg product, sliced sandwich ham, turkey bacon, Splenda sweetener, some vitamins, and OTC house brand medicines are generally cheaper to the extent that they more than pay for the trip and membership. Still, we check every price every time and don't just grab these things when we see them. Prices change at CostCo like everywhere else. If we were vegetarians or total organic types, it almost certainly wouldn't be worth it. YMMV.

The scenery, a stop at Hapuna Beach, and a drive through the Kohala ranch country (yes, I miss Texas on occasion) are icing on the cake of a trip over the Saddle for us.