Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello Punatics!
Thanks for the warm welcome malolo! [8D] I kinda like that philosophy also, less barkin' more waggin'! I think someday there will definately be nuff time to write about all my adventures! [Wink]

Aloha Leilaniguy! LOLZ to knowin our stinky mutual friend! That silly pooch had a good disposition once he warmed up to us (kindofa wussdog!), but he really needed a shower or 3! Thank you for keeping your lynching tools in the barn. [Big Grin] Good to know we didn't even disturb our next door neighbors... [^]

William DeBoe
Delray Beach, FL

Moe'uhane Oihana mahi ai
Mahi 'ai 'Ulu
All this talk of Waipio had me interested to pull out my books on Hawaii, tucked into the back dustjacket ofone book was the pamphlet the P&R lady gave me when we arrived for our descent... Cool little little fact I had forgotten an wanted to share, Bishop museum is the largest land owner in the valley. Most of that land is leased to local farmers. Approximately 150 acres of kalo are farmed here (that is a HUGEMUNGOUS amount a poi!) by about 75 farmers... (2 acres per person... I bet I can do that much work!) If fascites me that people can live in uch accord with nature in such a welcoming environment. I must be so satisfying to their souls to comsume so little that they actually give back and help to suport the earth than to simply mine away at its chemical makeup. The kind of human symbiosis is so rare anymore... I really hate my car.

William DeBoe
Delray Beach, FL

Moe'uhane Oihana mahi ai
Mahi 'ai 'Ulu
quote:
Originally posted by John S. Rabi

quote:
Originally posted by mdd7000
Somehow, I don't think I would get a "straight" answer from DHHL, do you?
You sure would do! They actually are really pissed off by people, both locals and tourists, driving there! They even published a "warning article" in the West Hawaii Today about a year(?) ago.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
(This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors http://KonaBoardOfRealtors.info)

You missed my point in that "locals" wouldn't get in trouble for charging tourists to get a ride to the beach (and obviously don't) but I would bet that transplants and tourists would get in trouble for driving themselves.
edit: What I mean is that DHHL maintains a double standard.
William,

Wanted to recommend the book Culture Shock: Hawaii. Its a useful overview of island life and offers a pretty honest assessment.

There are definitely social issues/customs that are unique to this place that you will benefit from researching. When/if you run into them at least you'll have a reference point.

i.e. taking lava rock...I wouldn't have thought twice about picking up a rock on the mainland.

The more you know ahead of the move the easier the transition.

Bad luck? http://www.growhawaii.com/hawaiian_volca...e_info.htm

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
It's not bad luck if you pay for it.

I think it's the taking and not giving something in return that's the problem.

I wondered what if you "own" land on Hawaii and take some rocks from your land to the mainland?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
ee.
I finally understand why I haven't hit the lotto.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
quote:
Originally posted by Mauka

To the poster who would say that Hawaii, especially the Big Island is not any more special than anyplace else, I would have to disagree. We should all consider ourselves guests here and treat the Island accordingly. DHHL is something like the native American reservation system on the mainland. The lands were originally "given" to Hawaiians as part of a complex scheme to secure votes in an election. The lands given were generally what were considered low quality at the time. The missionaries and plantation owners co-opted an innocent people and in time "stole" the islands.

I being that poster, let me respond: the DHHL was given the task of administering the Hawaiian Homelands Trust in 1920. That would be 27 years after the plantation owners dismantled the monarchy, and 22 years after the US agreed to take the then Republic of Hawaii in as a territory, during the McKinley Administration. So it has absolutely nothing to do with the original monarchy, nor the original missionaries, nor does it have any resemblance to the reservation system on the mainland. All DHHL beneficiaries are lessees, not property owners or semi-sovereign entities. They pay $1 per yer rent for periods that typically reach 99 years. That is how the law reads. As for your assertion that TBI is more special than other places, I will allow that you feel this way, since you live here. But yours is a decidedly provincial point of view. Surely you can see how a 5th generation rancher in Belle Fourche, South Dakota, might disagree with you, arguing that, in fact, the Black Hills and its environs are really more special, because... well, because of his own bias and prejudice, and love of his own land. Or the youngster from the outskirts of Kabul, who waxes poetically about how Afghanistan is really quite a remarkable place... do you start to see the pattern I'm weaving? Of course you love the Big Island. Please keep loving it. But allow all the other people in the world the same right to love the place where they live. For whatever specific reasons they might offer. The entire planet is precious, and all the people living in it are equally capable of loving their own aina.
quote:
Originally posted by Mauka

Hawaiian Homelands were initiated in 1893 as way to give Hawaiians the vote.

I think the idea was first discussed then, but that was during the Republic of Hawaii period. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia:

Upon the 1893 Overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom, the idea for "Hawaiian Homelands" was first born. In his testimony before Congress regarding the Hawaiian Islands on January 3, 1894, William Alexander reported:

"In order to save them, President Dole and his colleagues have elaborated a plan for giving the Kanakas homesteads out of the Crown lands, not transferable, on condition of occupation."[1]

In 1921, the federal government of the United States set aside as approximately 200,000 acres (810 km2) in the Territory of Hawaii as a land trust for homesteading by Native Hawaiians. The law mandating this, passed by the U.S. Congress on July 9, 1921, was called the "Hawaiian Homes Commission Act" (HHCA) and, with amendments, is still in effect today. The act is often also attributed to the year 1920, when it was written. The avowed purpose of the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act was to rehabilitate Native Hawaiians, particularly in returning them to the land to maintain traditional ties to the land. The Hawaiian politicians who testified in favor of the act specifically referred to the devastation of the Hawaiian population and the loss of the land, and the need for Hawaiians to be able to grow traditional crops such as kalo (taro).

So perhaps the Republic of Hawaii did initiate something called Hawaiian Homelands. I am not clear on the details of that period. I am clear, however, that in 1898, the McKinley Administration made Hawaii a territory of the US, and that the subsequent Hawaiian Homelands Commission Act was not enacted until the Harding Administration, a full generation later. And the DHHL is, as I mentioned before, the designated administrator of the Hawaiian Homelands Trust that originated in 1921 under that act. For my error in attributing passage of the act to the year 1920, I apologize.