Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neighbors dogs got loose
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

...But they are used for home protection and have free rein of the fenced property. I think they were just bred to be very aggressive...

That home protection thing is working real well for the owner now. He/she is lucky a human wasn't attacked or they could be now trying to protect their own home from the resulting liability.
Are they going to small claims because the owners of the dogs refused to compensate them? Or did they even ask?
Yep.... small claims...but make it big claims...

I suggest that you claim that the chickens were a special breed that you were developing for years. You have put thousands of hours and dollars into getting them just right for my Huli Huli business. Now you have to start all over again and the Huli Huli guy may not want to wait and is ready to take his business else where.

Another thought is to capture the dogs and Huli them instead of the chickens they ate.

The Lack

The Lack Toons
The owner(s) is a famous writer who is a recluse. He has a huge spread and home and I would assume money is not a problem. Fed EX is at his house every other day sending stuff no doubt to his publisher. The owner of the dogs refuses to talk to anyone it seems. I've lived next to him for 15 years and the only time he talked to me was when he first built his place. The owner of the chickens would have liked to settle this without going to court. But the guy never responded to his letters.
Kill the damn dogs and apologize afterward.
There have to be direct consequences for these idiot owners too.
Let them go to Humane Society and get replacement dogs.
Adopt a pet.
That owner was negligent and is subject to the County leash and confinement law.
Mr. recluse is not going to like going to court then -- and if he doesn't go he's in contempt of court and can be dumped in the jail.

So did the Humane Society do anything.

Guys, it doesn't matter one lick what the laws or customs are in any other state, and you know that. You want to solve a problem in Hawai'i, you've got to figure out the system here. Good luck telling a judge "where I come from ... ."

Not trying to be confrontational, but you worry me talking of shooting dogs. You don't shoot dogs here, because like Obie said, dogs are at the top of the chain. Chickens are near the bottom.

I mean, if this guy were local, which clearly he is not. In his case, sounds like he has plenty of money for attorneys if anyone were to shoot his dogs. Bottom line, if you shoot anything the law doesn't allow you to shoot, and you don't have ohana on the police force, you're asking for trouble.
Small claims court asks and expects you to make an attempt to reach a settlement before filing a court case. Use the FedX guy.
I am curious as to why we have laws at all in Hawaii.The laws in respect to loose dogs killing an animal are pretty much the same everywhere.I posted about Ohio because the laws are actually enforced there.

The owner of those dogs should be charged with a misdemeanor and he is required to pay.

Here is the Hawaii County law,sorry it is quite long.

ANIMALS § 4-31
4-9
Section 4-31. Regulation of dangerous dogs; prohibited acts; conditions on owner; penalties.
(a) A dog owner commits the offense of negligent failure to control a dangerous dog, if the person
negligently fails to take reasonable measures to prevent the dog from attacking, without provocation, a
person or animal and such attack results in:
(1) The maiming or causing of serious injury to or the destruction of an animal; or
(2) Bodily injury to a person.
A person convicted under this subsection shall be guilty of a petty misdemeanor and sentenced in
accordance with subsections ©, (d), and (e).
(b) For the purposes of this section, “reasonable measures to prevent the dog from attacking” shall include
but not be limited to:
(1) Measures required to be taken under sections 4-14, 4-15, 4-18, 4-20, 4-23, 4-30 and 4-32 of this
chapter to prevent the dog from becoming a stray; and
(2) Any conditions imposed by the court for the training of the dog or owner or for the supervision,
confinement or restraint of the dog for a previous conviction under this section.
© A dog owner convicted under subsection (a) shall be sentenced to one or more of the following:
(1) A fine of not less than $200 nor more than $2,000;
(2) A period of imprisonment of up to thirty days, or in lieu of imprisonment, a period of probation of
not more than six months in accordance with the procedures, terms and conditions provided in
chapter 706, part II, Hawai‘i Revised Statutes;
(3) Restitution to any individual who has suffered bodily injury or property damage as a result of an
attack by the dog.
(d) Unless the dog has been or is ordered to be humanely destroyed, the dog owner shall also be sentenced to
the following mandatory provisions, in addition to the provisions of subsection ©:
(1) The owner shall provide the owner’s name, address and telephone number to the county animal
control service;
(2) The owner shall provide the location at which the dog is currently kept, if such location is not the
owner’s address;
(3) The owner shall promptly notify the appropriate animal control service of:
(A) Any changes in the ownership of the dog or the location of the dog along with the names,
addresses and telephone numbers of new owners or the new address at which the dog is
located;
(B) Any further instances of an attack by the dog upon a person or an animal;
© Any claims made or lawsuits brought as a result of further instances of an attack by the dog;
or
(D) The death of the dog.
(4) The owner shall obtain a license for the dog pursuant to section 143-2, Hawai‘i Revised Statutes, if
the dog is not currently licensed; and
(5) Unless already identified by microchip, the dog shall be permanently identified, at the owner’s
expense, by injecting into the dog an identification microchip using standard veterinary procedures
and practices. The microchip identification number of the dog shall be provided to the county
animal control service.
(e) In addition to the provisions of subsections © and (d), the dog owner may also be sentenced to any of the
following terms or conditions:
(1) When indoors, the dog be under the control of a person eighteen years of age or older;
(2) When outdoors and unattended, the dog be kept within a locked fenced or walled area from which it
cannot escape;
(3) When outdoors and unattended, the dog be confined to an escape-proof kennel;
§ 4-31 HAWAI‘I COUNTY CODE
4-10
(4) When outdoors, the dog be attended and kept within a fenced or walled area from which it cannot
escape;
(5) When outdoors, the dog be attended and kept on a leash no longer than six feet in length and under
the control of a person eighteen years of age or older;
(6) When outdoors, the dog be attended and muzzled with a muzzle that prevents the dog from biting
any person or animal but does not cause injury to the dog or interfere with its vision or respiration;
(7) A sign or signs be placed in a location or locations directed by the court advising the public of the
presence and dangerousness of the dog;
(8) The owner and dog, at the owner’s expense, attend training sessions conducted by an animal
behaviorist, a licensed veterinarian or other recognized expert in the field;
(9) The dog be neutered or spayed at the owner’s expense, unless the neutering or spaying of the dog is
medically contraindicated;
(10) The owner procure liability insurance or post bond of not less than $50,000, or for a higher amount
if the court finds a higher amount appropriate to cover the medical and/or veterinary costs resulting
from potential future actions of the dog;
(11) The dog be humanely destroyed; or
(12) Any other condition the court deems necessary to restrain or control the dog. For the purposes of
this subsection, an escape-proof kennel means a kennel which allows the dog to stand normally and
without restriction, which is at least two and one-half times the length of the dog, and which
protects the dog from the elements. Fencing or wall materials required under this section shall not
have openings with a diameter of more than two inches, and in the case of wooden fences, the gaps
therein shall not be more than two inches. Any gates within such kennel or structure shall be
lockable and of such design as to prevent the entry of children or the escape of the dog, and when
the dog is confined to such kennel or area and unattended, such locks shall be kept locked. The
kennel may be required to have double exterior walls to prevent the insertion of fingers, hands or
other objects.
(f) Upon probable cause, an enforcement officer may either arrest or issue a summons and citation to the
owner for violation of subsection (a).
(1980, Ord. No. 579, sec. 13; Am. 1987, Ord. No. 87-122, sec. 2; Am. 2002, Ord. No. 02-138, sec. 3.)4-31

Talk of shooting a dog to solve a problem is just plain stupid. I commend you for being polite, KathyH, but I'm just going to call it. It's definitely not acceptable that dogs go and kill chickens repeatedly, and I would take action for sure, but if people start shooting dogs because of any reason other than imminent death, there's going to be a hell of a lot more than just chickens shedding blood. Most dogs are beloved family members. If anyone had ever shot my dog, I don't even like to think of the hell they'd have had coming their way.

Build a fence, a good fence. Use pepper spray or loud noises to train dogs to stay away or get hurt. Classical conditioning works wonders.
Melissa Fletcher
Maybe your dog is a beloved family member.
My beloved family members don't go out killing other things.
If they did , I would be the first to put them down.