Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Mayall-Honoka'a-Friday, Nov19
quote:
Originally posted by wyline

@ Kapohocat - The Palomino??? WOW never thought I would see that mentioned anywhere again. Best place ever and I saw everyone from Curtis Mayfield to Dwight Yoakum there. When that place closed, I stepped up my exit plan from LA!

Wyline

Saw many good people there. Believe it or not my mom and dad went there in the 50's! Little bit scary kinda like the Pahoa lounge years ago before it tried to gentrify... Smile
I know this is a bit of an old thread-but then I'm an old geezer. My wife has seen John many times since she was a teen age. I had gone and seen Walter Trout at a small club in Tacoma (JazzBones). Then some time later we went to see him at a smll town sputh of Mount Rainier in Wa. State. After Mayall's band played, during the rest of the show, he had a small booth set up at the back of the building where he was selling CDs. I wlked back to buy a CD for my wife and got to talk with him. I mentioned that I hads recently seen a friend of his at a small club in Tacoma, Wa. he asked who it was, and I said Walter Trout. He smilede and opened the CD and pointed to a song on the song list, and said...Ah, Walter. He wrote this song, and pointed to it.I talked to him for a short time, and he seemed really nice.

I've seen some great bands over the years.The most memorable was when I saw the Jimi Hendrix Experience at the Seattle Center Colleseum when I was in 7th grade. That would put it about 1967-1968.
The Allman Brothers (when Duanne was still alive),Johnny Winter (another favorite of mine),Mountain,Wishbone Ash,Billy Cobham and Spectrum,Robin Trower (twice), Black Sabbath, Savoy Brown,etc...
jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
That would be one to remember. Somehow I never saw the Beattles or the Rolling Stones. Wish I would have seen Stevie Ray......

Jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
The Palomino - I loved that place. I played there about ten times with various acts back in the 70s. As great an experience as being on the stage at The Longhorn in Dallas and having beers with Dewey Grooms who originally built it to give Hank Williams a place to play there.
A friend of mine who was very involved in the movie, just sent me a copy of Crazy, a film about the life of legendary guitarist Hank Garland. It's out on DVD and rentable now. The film is very close to the music scene I was involved in back then. Highly recommended.
To the blues guitar guy - there are not many opportunities to play here. Some, but not many.
Saw John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers (I think Paul Butterfield was with him, but it's all a purple haze). That would have been about 1967 somewhere in Southern California. Crowded, dark, smokey place at the suburban crossroads. Hope to see him again!He's gotta be just a nice, dark smokey blue by now.

I love all the reminiscing. Nice story, birdmove. [Smile] Please stop saying you're a geezer. I graduated from HS in '68, and you were in 7th grade. I was born in '52.

My earliest big concerts were the Beatles at Hollywood Bowl '65, Stones at the Bowl '66, Beatles Dodger Stadium '66 (their next to last concert), Dylan & the Band in Pasadena in Dec. '66, Donovan at the Hollywood Bowl '67 ... and then summer of '67 I saw the whole Monterey Pop Festival, 5 concerts -- never again saw anything in scope to match the number of great artists at one event. Later that summer I saw Hendrix again at the L.A. Shrine, and went to the Newport Pop Festival. Also the Devonshire Downs show headed by the Jefferson Airplane, where L.A. County Sheriffs kind of busted things up.

Another great one was Frank Zappa and the Mothers at the Shrine in '68, and the Cream Farewell concert at the LA Forum on 10/29/68 -- their final USA appearance.

Those were the good old days!

In spite of all those big concerts, I really love the small venues.
One of my faves was seeing Van Morrison at the Mystic Theater in Petaluma. What a strange world. I googled it just now to check when that was, and got a hit on someone selling the used ticket on eBay for 5 Euros. Shoots, I still have my ticket stub. Are these things worth money now?
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Van-Morrison-TICKET-M...0580604833

Seeing Arlo Guthrie at the old biker bar in Fort Bragg (CA) with just a guitar and a small portable amp in front of a couple dozen folding chairs was a truly small venue show of which I'll cherish the memory too.

I would have liked to see Mayall play again. He must be getting up there, but John Lee Hooker was still playing live at age 85 ...

I also went to Altamont. I walked ten miles from where we parked in the dead of night in December ... then spent the day in a sleeping bag until the show started.

Okay, Kathy.No more "geezer" talk. I was born in 1953 (Nov. 1st).

That's an impressive bunch of concerts you've been to. I never saw Cream or Zappa.My loss. Mayall is getting old.But he seemed to be doing well when we saw him 4-5 years back. I've seen Willie Nelson twice.The last time at the Puyallup far in 2010. He's pretty old too, but in good shape.I know he works out a lot.My wife's a big fan of Willie.We used to go to Maui starting in 1980,and Willie had a house in Piaia (spelling?).There is a small bar/club there, and we heard that often he would show up with his old beater guitar and just play for nthe fun of it.

Hey, I like some of the young bands too. Los Lonely Boys, Green day, the White Stripes and some others.

Take care, Jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I have not seen the great Willie Nelson, that would be a good one.

Yes, I went to every concert I could between 1965 and 1968-69, and was in the perfect place to do it. After that, moved to the boonies for many years, only saw local bands (who were great and included some retired or on break rock stars like Gene Clark and Joel Scott Hill and Gene Parsons, Billy Kreutzman, etc., who hung out around Mendocino.

In the late 80's and the 90's, living in and around Berkeley, I went to lots of great concerts again -- Greek Theatre, Concord Pavilion, Shoreline, Oakland Coliseum, San Francisco venues, Paramount Theater -- good stuff. The Dead, Dylan, Jimmy Buffett, Eagles, Stones, Neil Young, Simon & Garfunkel, Bonnie Raitt, Van Morrison, Jackson Browne (bunches of times), Steve Miller, Little Feat, Bread & Roses, lots of benefits like for Indigenous Peoples, the Bridge Foundation shows for autism, so many good shows.

That is something I miss living here, seeing greats of the music world in concert. Ten years and I've seen one show (John Mayall). For a concert fan like me, that's slim pickings.

I like some newer artists, but I'm more into the newer singer-songwriters than I am the rock bands. I have this love for acoustic guitar playing and solo piano.

Green Day -- funny connection. I got married in the house that their manager used to own. He sued them for dumping him, and got a ton of money and sold this lovely house built in 1910 to my best friends -- while he moved on to even bigger and fancier digs. [8D]
Willie Nelson - I played a couple of radio shows with him back in the day and got to sing Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain with him when it was a hit. The great Shel Silverstein asked if he could be my roadie and carried my stuff like it weighed nothing. We were all in a bit of a haze back then, and while I thought it was pretty cool, I really didn't appreciate how much.
Willie is an amazing man in many, many ways. One of the nicest people you could ever meet. Screwed over by the good ol' USA and just keeps tickin'.
He was on the Larry King show a little while back. The conversation turned to Willie's pot smoking.Larry asked him if he smoked every day,and Willie said yes. Larry asked him if he smoked some that day, and Willie said yes. Larry asked if he had smoked some just before the show and Willie said yes.It was a bit after that show aired that he was "busted" again for having pot in his tour bus (which he about lives in all the time).

I just can't help but think, why are they waisting time messing with this man. It's only pot-it's not like he's a real criminal.

jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau/HPP