Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cane toads and dogs
fire ants

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
We lost a beloved dog last year because Aloha Vet did not answer their after hours phone line. We were there in the early morning when they opened and they said, "This dog is critical. Why didn't you call?" We replied that we had been trying since 10 the night before with no answer, and the vet just said, "Oh." We asked for an explanation, and were told they would get back to us. They never did, nor did they express any sort of apology or sympathy. NOTHING. This is the first time I have been able to post on this topic because it makes me so angry and emotional. DO NOT trust the assurances of Aloha Vets. They don't keep their promises.
Sorry to hear about your loss Jerry. Frustrating story.
Jim
So sorry to hear this disappointing news about Aloha. Hopefully I won't ever have the nightmare you've gone through. I keep m dog on a leash at night. But he is always finding the damn toads in the compost, etc., in the daytime. I yell, NO! and rush him away, but I'm afraid he's going to grab the thing and run off with it. Scary!! I met a woman the other day who left her little dog outside in the yard overnight and found the poor thing dead in the a.m. We can only assume it was from the toads.
http://www.healthyhomesforkidsandpets.co.../bufo.html
This article says there is no antidote, just supportive care.
There are more websites that address cane toad and dogs.

Sorry for all of those who have sufferedor lost their pets from the toad poison. We have them here in Tx too, but luckily have not had a problem. One of my poodles was bit by a rattle snake and other snakes, but I have not lost any.

You can also train to teach them to leave it alone, using a live toad and treat/clicker training.

One suggestion might be is to put together an emergency kit for your dogs, especially the large chested breeds which includes a boxer for things like bloat, toad posioning and whatever your dog is susceptable to. I have the activated charcoal and perioxide handy in case they swallow something.

The book Dog Home health care Veterninary Handbook By Carlson is a great supplement to your vet to have on hand. Lots of emergencies happen when it is a weekend or evening and it is hard to contact a vet. This book has helped and reassured me many times. It pays for itself over and over. Also they have put out one for cats.

I have an older dog who is in his last days and it is rough seeing them hurting.
Pets are like our family!

Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
Lucy

quote:
Originally posted by JerryCarr

We lost a beloved dog last year because Aloha Vet did not answer their after hours phone line. We were there in the early morning when they opened and they said, "This dog is critical. Why didn't you call?" We replied that we had been trying since 10 the night before with no answer, and the vet just said, "Oh." We asked for an explanation, and were told they would get back to us. They never did, nor did they express any sort of apology or sympathy. NOTHING. This is the first time I have been able to post on this topic because it makes me so angry and emotional. DO NOT trust the assurances of Aloha Vets. They don't keep their promises.

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. We often have more of a family bond with the pets in our lives than we can describe. Again, my sincere sympathies go out to you. Especially hard to be told you should have called when you did in fact call.
However, my neighbor called and reached the vet at ALOHA VET and even though the dog was critical, the vet was unwilling to come into the office for emergency visit off hours.
hawaiideborah
Deborah, you didn't mention if your friend's dog was already a patient with Aloha. We had been for years, and the vet who was there in the morning when they opened implied that something would have been done if we had reached them by phone. Of course, that doesn't automatically mean that they would have sent a vet to meet us in the night, but that was what was implied.

Thank you to Deborah, Funkstopper, and DTisme for the sympathetic comments.
quote:
Originally posted by David M

Unfortunately, a couple of our dogs have a toad fascination, 2 quite scary encounters, the latest costing me my 3 month old iphone last summer.
Flushing works IF you get them soon enough (before the foaming). In our experience, if the poison is already in the system, flushing doesn't seem to do much. My understanding is this poison is absorbed via the mucous membranes, not swallowed. We do keep benedryl on hand, both the liquid and pills and administer as soon as possible after the flushing. As it would take us 30 minutes or more to get to the vet, I did discuss this with vet a couple years ago vet said this approach was appropriate as there's not much the vet could do. Maybe the medicine has improved since then, but time would still be a problem for us, especially as they seem to prefer toads at night. One thing that kinda ticks me off, the dogs have a fenced area for nightime use, with small opening chicken wire at the bottom and the d*mn toads still get in. Constant vigilance, as like Carol said, I think some dogs develop a liking for it.

David

Ninole Resident

I think perhaps you would have to use 5/8 inch hardware cloth and for it to be buried around the edges.
When cleaning out the dogs mouth, if wiping it out to get the poison because it is gelatinous might help.
Also this guy from Thailand has a novel approah that sure seems like it would work. A 5 gal. bucket buried, light over that to attrack bugs and toad and fill the bucket with water close to 3/4 and put some motor oil in it to make the sides slick.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/bufo_toads.html

Another way of killing them is pouring amonia on their back.
One additional way of preventing dogs getting them is to put a muzzle on them at night while they are out.

One site also noted: "Most owners will try to hose out their pets mouths. DO NOT DO THIS. If you use a hose, you risk getting water in the dog’s lungs. You may solve the toxin problem, but the dog may develop other serious problems, or may die. What you SHOULD DO is gently scrub the dog’s gum area with a wet cloth, for about 5 10 minutes."

Lucy

Lucy

As much as I fear for my doggie, I also feel for the poor toads. They are very docile, will try to hop out of the way to avoid a confrontation, and eat bugs, including, I'm told, the big ol' 747 roaches. When we first moved here, I wanted them dead, but the more I live with them, the more I'm ok with them. Just not around doggie.
Six hours after that post: doggie is barking incessantly. He's obviously cornered something. Yup, cane toad. Broad daylight. Dead. Well what else could have killed it but doggie, right? I rush the dog to the hose and rinse his nose and muzzle (he wouldn't let me get the water IN his mouth so I wiped his mouth out with my fingers). Kept close eye on him and no signs of poisoning. Meanwhile, hubby goes over to the "dead" toad (which, the last time I saw it, was sprawled on its side with legs and arms straight over his head and rump) -- and it's sitting there all la-di-da. Hubby grabbed him and threw him in the vacant lot behind us. SO: bottom line: they play dead, too.

btw, read that it's a misconception that they purposefully release their toxin; seems they have to be squeezed. Not sure I want to put that to the test,though.