Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cane toads and dogs
I just recently lost my dog to a Bufo. Aloha sucks...took my money and told me they wouldn't do anything. After some research and talking with other pet owners who've had similar run ins with Bufos, their dogs receiving supportive care and then recovered, I feel my dog could have been saved. Even more appalling was that my regular vet (in HPP) never returned any of my phone calls. Not even to follow up.The veterinary services available here are third world at best
I have killed plenty of Bufos and will continue to do so....usually harpooning them with a pitchfork or chopping them in half with a shovel. Even set a trap to attract them....no mercy from me.
Freezing is an easy bloodless way to dispatch toads, frogs, and snails. Grab them with a recycled plastic bag, turn it inside out so the critter is on the inside, and pop it into the freezer for 12 hours. Tossing them into a neighboring lot does little, they can travel far and fast. They like pet food, so we make sure we don't leave bowls out with partly eaten kibble. They also like our little solar path lights, because they attract bugs.

There is a really funny video called "the Cane Toad, an Unnatural History" or something similar, that I saw in a biogeography class in college. It has a lot of good information on how they poison things, along with a very Australian humorous twist on things.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Aloha Vet saved my cats life. She got poisoned by a bufo toad 5 years ago and back then we called on a Sunday and they said to bring her in. They were there when we got there (both the doctor and a tech). They immediately flushed her and gave her something for the poison and saved her life. She's still going strong today. It wasn't cheap.....but I'm sure most people would pay just about anything to save a loved pet. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Aloha Vet is no better or worse than any other vet center on the Big Island that offers emergency care 24 hours.
There a re a lot of dog lovers on this thread.

Because so people seemed interested in learning how to care for their pets in emergency situations (after hours stuff) I posted on a different thread that the Red Cross is willing to offer a class (I believe for free) on pet first aid. They don't offer the class very often. I would really really like to take the class as I have several cats & dogs but they need more sign ups in order to make it worthwhile. The Red Cross only needs another 3-5 people to attend. Once they have enough people interested, they'll set up a time, probably in the evening or on a weekend.

For all the people on this thread, no one has expressed any interest (in the other thread) in actually learning what to do in the event your pet needs first aid. Is anyone interested?
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

Aloha Vet saved my cats life. She got poisoned by a bufo toad 5 years ago and back then we called on a Sunday and they said to bring her in. They were there when we got there (both the doctor and a tech). They immediately flushed her and gave her something for the poison and saved her life. She's still going strong today. It wasn't cheap.....but I'm sure most people would pay just about anything to save a loved pet. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Aloha Vet is no better or worse than any other vet center on the Big Island that offers emergency care 24 hours.

I thought the consensus on this thread is that there is no treatment. I sort of got from this thread that even if the vet had come in for the neighbors you all thought there was no treatment anyway. I get to flush out, but if the vet actually gave your cat "something for the poison" that saved her life, that is contrary to what others have said that there is nothing but the flush...
What did you get for the poison?
hawaiideborah
Not sure what that "something " was....could have been prepto bismo for all I know...But my cat didn't "eat" the bufo.....it just bit into its neck where it secretes the poison.

Add on...Just talked with my wife....Our cat was given Prednosone after she was poisoned by the Bufo which is an anti inflamatory. She was iffy for the next 24 hours...but then started to improve. They continued with the predosone for several weeks until she started eating regularly again.
Hi Deborah,

Some reassurance here for you and others, I know how hard it is to loose our pets.

From what I have read there is supportive care to try to save an animal. Activated charcoal etc. Oxygen, IV line, all the usual treament for shock and trying to initially remove toxins from the mouth by wiping them out with some paper towels, gauze etc. It really matters how long the animal has had the toxin in its mouth, in relation to how well the animal will over come the toxin. The area of biggest concern is the gums, because the gum area is where it is absorbed the bloodstream. If a person does not take out the toad toxin many will die within 15 minutes of it entering the mouth. The smaller in weight the animal it is the quicker you need to act because they die more rapidly from this.
Sometimes all a vet can do is tell you what to do to carry this procedure out on your own. But also if you are close enough and can reach the office in time, they can help. You should call ahead with this kind of an emergency so they can set up to help the animal. Unfortunately this often happens at night when it is real problematic because of the time to save them can be a short window.

I read that since this affects the nervous system, that an animal may clench its mouth shut and be hard to get to the toxin or it may bite down, so a person should be prepared to block open the mouth with what is handy, like a piece of wood.

There really is much a person can do to save their own animal and much you can do to prevent toads in the area where they are kept or let out at night.

Lots of good info on google or bing. The whole thing is just to be prepared to take matters into your own hands, since this is a fast acting toxin that can kill.

Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
So what do people think of the pet hospital right next to the airport? Dr. Nakamura, is it?
My friend had the same problem before they moved, luckily at that time they were all ready to leave the island. It's so sad, i've lost contact with her. I didn't get any news about her dog.
quote:
Originally posted by Kelena

So what do people think of the pet hospital right next to the airport? Dr. Nakamura, is it?

My friend who was born and raised here and now has lived in Volcano for 35 years takes her dogs to Dr. Nakamura and is very satisfied.

We use East Hawaiian Vet near Kuhio Grill and Starbucks. Dr. Bill San Fillipo saved my 11 year old dog by diagnosing very fast growing mast cell cancer tumors and did surgery immediately on a Saturday. Then the cancer returned and he again did immediate surgery. Put her on supplements and great cancer prevention diet. She has been cancer free for 8 months. I love Dr. San Fillipo. There are 3 vets there and I don't know about the others.
hawaiideborah