Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update note from AlohaSteven/AlaskaSteven
Hi-

In case anyone wondered if I fell into a puka or moved back to Alaska, no, my long silence on Punaweb is due to a combination of moving out to the construction site (where there is no internet service) in January and being swamped with work there. Hundreds of cultivars including dozens of trees have been planted and I am on the home stretch with finish work in the house.

Last night at practice a friend from Puna Men's Chorus mentioned Alaskana posting about his returning to Alaska, prompting me to come to HPP (where I have internet access) and log on this morning. Months have passed since I have had a chance to read much online, including on Punaweb. Scanning over Punaweb's recent topics and opening a couple discussions (all there is time for this morning) I see just how out of the loop I have become via not reading Punaweb for awhile.

Sure am glad I looked this morning, too, as otherwise I would not have seen pslamont's kind invitation to a get-together tomorrow! If I can rearrange the schedule a bit then I hope to come to the Lamont Ranch tomorrow; I am looking forward to meeting some folks in person with whom I have only ever interacted in cyberspace. If we miss connecting at Pam's tomorrow then do come to a Redistricting Commission meeting sometime- several of us from Friends of Puna's Future have been attending and will continue to do so. There is nothing more important happening on the Big island right now, imho, than those Redistricting Commission meetings.

On the rat lungworm front, by the way, over the last several months I have set rat traps here and there in Puna and then dissected a percentage of the rats caught. In the pulmonary aorta of most of the rats I have found adult Angiostrongylus cantonensis, the worms. To repeat the advice of my medical and veterinary scientist friends in Australia who have been battling rat lungworm for quite awhile, an effective prevention program emphasizes control of the rats carrying the adult worms. Slugs are short-lived but one rat can live for years, spreading the worm's eggs everywhere. Dose (the density of larvae inside a slug) really matters if accidental ingestion of a slug by a human or household pet happens. Hitting the rats hard and often is well worth doing when taken in combination with all the other sensible measures (tidy gardens free of litter which shelter slugs, using raised beds when possible, electrified wire pairs, German slug guards [a slug-fence-and-gutter system], baiting slugs as appropriate to the situation, and inspection/treatment of veggies).

Final note: I invite anyone who is interested in helping a good kid with his career to please cast a vote online for my nephew, Tyler McPeak. If Tyler places in the top ten at the end of June then he advances to the final round and all this fuss promotes his modeling and acting career. Just two quick clicks does it (no registering or passwords or any of that stuff needed), just click on the first "Vote for Tyler McPeak" which appears when you move your cursor over his photo, then do the same thing again on the next page which appears and that is all there is to it. Here is the link: http://fittestfriends.strutta.com/entry/171122?=f28g4b
You can vote once each day in this contest, through the end of June, and whether just once or voting daily every vote really does help and is genuinely appreciated. Share with a friend, too, please!
Thanks!

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Stairway to Gilligan's Island
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTCYLbFxTpI&feature=related

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

Okay, I voted. (And...oh my gawd. Drool.)

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
The second click was to allow your Facebook info to be accessed. I just don't do that. Will the first click help? I see he is in 7th place. If the first vote counts, I'd be happy to do that.

Life goes on, with you or without you.
Peace and long life
Hi Steven,

Tyler got my vote!!

"From knowledge comes understanding"
Steven,

Any time in Kapoho, come and use my deck for DSL... I would love to see you and Doran both!

-Cat
Drool is right!! Don't get me wrong Steve??[Big Grin]

I voted the first click too. Donno about this facebook thing though worried mere about Apple.
Yes, Tyler is certainly droolworthy. Thanks for your votes in this contest; genuinely appreciated by the whole clan! We are all cheering for him. He works hard- a scrubby kid in high school, Tyler educated himself thoroughly about sports nutrition and became very self-disciplined with regard to diet and exercise. The results show.

The carpenter working at my construction site yesterday needed another pair of hands for hauling heavy items upstairs (he was putting bookcases together for me) and as usual everything takes several times longer than the initial expectation, so I missed the Punawebber potluck at pslamont's. Alas! I really wanted to be there. Next time for sure.

Stairway to Gilligan's Island
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTCYLbFxTpI&feature=related

Thought you got hit by a coconut! Glad to see you back.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Thanks, EightFingers, though my web access is still very intermittent at this time. The county structural inspector and electrical inspector recently both signed off on the finals for my permits on the shortwave radio communications tower so that is now in place. Aloha Broadband has come twice to evaluate the potential of placing a relay dish up on top to expand their coverage area, so maybe there will actually be decent internet service out at the new place soon. Sure would be nice.

The Puna Men's Chorus country music comedy show last night at the HPP hui went well, I thought, and a bunch of folks at Makuu Market this morning came up and said how much they enjoyed it so the impression seems to be fairly widespread. If you missed it at HPP then there are two more chances to see and hear this show: 7:30pm this Saturday, 23JUL, at the Palace in Hilo -or- 7:30pm next Saturday, 30JUL, at the People's Theater in Honokaa. Tickets are available at the door, $12 for 60 and over, $15 for under 60. Lots of fun! The show follows the development of country music from Appalachia through the South and Southwest out to Hawaii, complete with costumed cowboy clowning (I am one of the Black Hat bunch).

My nephew Tyler has slipped to 8th place but is still in the running in an online contest. I thought it ended in June but as it turns out the voting is open through the end of July. If you are on Facebook then it is really easy to vote (just click on "Vote for Tyler" twice) and you can vote once every 24 hours. If he finishes in the top ten then it advances his career and he wins something, plus which his mom will stop bugging me to tell everyone in the universe to vote for him, so much appreciated if you do. Here is the link:
http://fittestfriends.strutta.com/profile/171122
Thanks!

BTW, if another Punaweb picnic or get-together happens then I'd appreciate it if Kat or Rob or someone would please get ahold of me directly and let me know, as I hardly ever see Punaweb these days (because of limited web access) but would very much like to come to a Punaweb BBQ or suchlike.

Mind-Boggling Scandinavian Strangeness In Space!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA5GkLM5C7M

Edited to fix broken link

Aloha Steven!

I can always let you know about it when I see it on
Punaweb as well!

See ya tomorrow!

Nice write up about the Chorus, and if anyone of of you out there
missed it, Hope to see ya next weekend!