Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taj Mahal last night at Peoples Theatre
Honokaa was rockin' to the Blues last night. My wife and I drove from our place in HPP to see The Taj Mahal Hula Blues Band last night at The Peoples Theatre in Honokaa. Somehow, in all these years, though I have been a big fan of Taj's, neither of us had ever seen him in concert. He put on a fine show last night. I had some of his albums, " Nat'l Blues", and "Giant Step", and consider these two all time favorites. He did 4-5 songs from the former album. That album is from 1968 by the way, and still stands up today 43 years later. I can easily see that, when you pay to see Taj, you get your moneys worth. He works hard and it shows. It looked like about all the seats were taken, with lots of people dancing on each side of the stage.
It was our first at Honokaa. Seems like a very cool little town. We'll have to go back in the daytime and see it much better.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Oh my god I love that man. I hope he comes again. He is a brilliant practitioner of the blues -- great guitarist, great vocalist, brilliant arranger. He smokes every vocal. I saw him at the House of Blues, New Orleans, before a certain volcano goddess said "Come here -- I have nice music, too, and better coffee!"

My favorite song by him is "Fannin' the Flames" -- "The first time I saw you....when I first set eyes on you....a time bomb started tickin', tickin, y'all...detonation overdue......"

I think he lived in the islands at some point.
Great to hear he can still put on a great show! [Smile]

I have been a fan since his first record release. "The Nat'l Blues" was fantastic. I don't know which is my favorite song of his, but I do love "Corinna"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seJAOWHUeJE&feature=related
and "She Caught the Katy (and left me her mule to ride)"!

Kelena, sounds like a great venue. House of Blues, New Orleans, woohoo!

I saw him in '77 or '78 at the Golden Inn roadhouse saloon in Golden, New Mexico ( a ghost town southeast of Santa Fe). It was everything I would want of an authentic intimate bar venue for a blues legend. Too bad it burned down 30 years ago.

Taj did move to Kaua'i in early 80's and was there for most of that decade.

Honoka'a is a cool community, birdmove. Back when I first stayed there, almost 15 years ago, the commercial area didn't offer much to a passer-through beyond a plate lunch and a short drive to Waipi'o, but over the years it has become quite the art, music, antique, and art films center.
I keep hearing about Honoka'a for entertainment...may have to just do some research 'cause some of the groups that perform there are outstanding![Smile]
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
I understand another old favorite of mine also played there recently--Johnny Winter. I had seen him maybe 12 years ago in Seattle. At that venue I saw Robin Trower twice. I also saw Jimi Hendrix live in Seattle when I was in the seventh grade (class of 1972 I was).

Taj played both of the tunes mentioned above: Corina, and She caught the Katy. He played lots of songs I hadn't heard too, but the oldies from Nat'l Blues really grabbed me.

Jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
This is a thread I really did not want to see ... how good Taj was.

Thanks a LOT Bird ! : (

aloha,
pog ... who was not there.
About ten years ago we saw Taj in Oregon. Took my then teenage son and a friend. We got invited back stage after the show for a talk story time. My wife got to cuddle on the love seat with Taj. My son's eyes were like saucers! A real Favorite for sure!

Dan
When you see a show at the People's Theater it's up close and personal, too. The theater isn't all that large even though I think it is one of the largest screens left in the state.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Yes, we liked the Peoples Theatre very much also.

jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I love that kind of venue. [Smile]

Some of my fondest music performance memories are of small halls, like seeing Van Morrisson at the Mystic Theater in Petaluma, and being able to dance in front of the stage.

Is there any dancing at the People's Theater?