Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joy of Home Brewing in Puna
Back in the day, I used to do some home brewing. Believe it or not, I lived a couple suburbs away from the father of contemporary do-it-yourself home brewing - Charlie Papazian. I even had a coffee-stout entry in the "Great American Beer Festival". My brew didn't place well in the competition - but honestly, winning awards isn't what it's all about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Papazian

I'm thinking again of doing some home brewing. Just wondering if anyone else out there in Puna district is home brewing? I imagine the costs are prohibitive here for the raw ingredients. I'm interested in getting started again. A group could potentially bring the costs down with volume purchases....anyone out there?

Knowing nothing about beer, I wonder if some of the local coconuts would make a good brew. That would surely cut cost since they seem to be so plentiful.
For what its worth I checked out prices to order stuff online and it turns out that Brew Hawaii in Hilo is still cheaper. I like patronizing that fellow - he knows a lot and is really helpful. He's located in the back of the party store right there on Keawe St. near the intersection of Waianuenue. He has everything from easy to make kit cans to specialty hops and malts. Happy brewing!
quote:
Originally posted by Puna Kite Man

Knowing nothing about beer, I wonder if some of the local coconuts would make a good brew. That would surely cut cost since they seem to be so plentiful.

"In Rennell Island, Solomon Islands, local home-brew is made by fermenting coconut milk, yeast and sugar in a bin and leaving it hidden in the bush for about a week. This coconut rum is mentioned in the song "Poppa Joe" by The Sweet.

In Brazil, coconut milk is mixed with sugar and cachaça to make a cocktail called Batida de Côco."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_milk
"Thumbs up for Palau’s taro wine

Posted at 07:08 on 16 July, 2007 UTC

There’s been a positive taste reaction by Japanese people to Palau’s new taro wine or sochu.

Currently there was only sochu made from cassava and sweet potato, but with the help of Japan donating a wine extracting machine, Palau has made wine from taro.

It is made by fermenting rice and yeast for 7 days then adding cooked and mashed taro for another 7 days.

The fermented mulch is then distilled and extracted in 3 hours at 50 percent alcohol.

Thomas Taro, the vice president of Palau Community College’s agriculture extension school, says Japanese taste testers have given it the thumbs up.

“The product itself - I guess Palau is the only country doing taro sochu. It has that very unique taste, and that texture to it. It’s mild with a distinct taste and aroma of taro, and that’s what makes it unique and kind of exotic.”

Thomas Taro says the product’s economic potential for Palau, is huge.

News Content © Radio New Zealand International
PO Box 123, Wellington, New Zealand"

http://www.rnzi.com/pages/news.php?op=read&id=33682
I brew mine in glass carboys. Most of the time I use Centennial and Cascade hops. Similar to the type that Sierra Nevada Brewing Company uses. When I lived in Northern Ca. I used to grow my own hops but haven't tried (yet) growing them here. Good luck...enjoy.

riverwolf
riverwolf
I haven't brewed beer here for a while. I'm not the most meticulous person when it comes to sterilization and the other tiny details required to brew beer. In a tropical environment it is all the more challenging. Just like all of the bugs that want to invade our gardens, brewing beer offers up the most delicious treats for vinegar causing bacteria and all of their nasty friends that cause off flavors. I've pulled off some very good batches and some others that just didn't cut it. They all got drank but sometimes I wished I had just bought a Steinlager.

That's why I have been making wine instead. The higher alcohol content is more forgiving of mistakes. 9% or higher alcohol will kill most bad bugs. Jaboticaba, lychee and ohelo berry have proven to be the winning fruits to work with.

My latest project is Okolehao, or Hawaiian Tequila. The Ti plant is related to Agave. Our first batch was very good and we are about to try another. It's pretty involved but I like the historical and cultural aspects. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okolehao
Peter, If you can find Java Plum, I think it would make an excellent tropical wine.
Peter, know of anyone trying wine from Poha berries?

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

Anyone ever try using coffee cherry pulp for wine?

Dan