Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Shore's speed bumps
@Greg

quote:
Originally posted by Gray Cat

HPP has a process for residents to identify roads that could benefit from speed humps. 75% of the residents on that particular street must agree that speed humps are needed. The road must be at least 750' long. Humps cannot be placed at an intersection, in front of a driveway etc. The traffic on the road has to average at least 200/day and at least 10% of the cars that drive on the road speed (speed limit in residential neighborhood is 25mph). PLUS, HPP requires that the residents pony up and pay in advance for the installation of speed humps by a licensed contractor that meet the design specifications as provided by the national traffic engineering council

In the case of Papio Street in Hawaiian Shores, the board moved that the residents who presented a petition from 75% of the residents along Papio Street could pay for and install the humps provided they met all federal, state, county and by-law requirements. The residents organized and did just that. The board is likely to adopt the same Speed Hump policy used by HPP as it is a workable model for residents to ensure that people observe the speed limit signs posted on the roads.

Two guys with cold patch would not be allowed.

These speed bumps cost $1500 each. Speed bumps for Coastal Puna Parkway would cost even more because the road is twice as wide and would be less effective because the road shoulder is also twice as wide.

But have no fear people...
The new unofficial detour up Kuna St. and down Coastal Puna Parkway takes the vehicles by Councilman Blas' residence. Maybe he will be the hero who rectifies this unneighborly situation!
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
Whitey quote:
"These speed bumps cost $1500 each. Speed bumps for Coastal Puna Parkway would cost even more because the road is twice as wide and would be less effective because the road shoulder is also twice as wide.

But have no fear people...
The new unofficial detour up Kuna St. and down Coastal Puna Parkway takes the vehicles by Councilman Blas' residence. Maybe he will be the hero who rectifies this unneighborly situation!"

Whitey - You might check your facts. The folks on Coastal Puna Parkway who live there full time are reporting only a minor increase in diverted traffic. Further Coastal Puna Parkway is not twice as wide, it is a 60' width versus a 40' width. Probably only needs two humps instead of 3 like Papio. If needed, our councilman has already expressed interest in pursuing humps along this route. The good news is most people (90% +) are slowing down and going over the speed humps on Papio now that amber delineators have been installed either side of humps. Many people have made comments like "God Bless wish we had these on my street in Hawaiian Beaches!!" So what is the bottom line here. Are you afraid to get out and talk to your neighbors to see if they would support speed humps on Coastal Puna Parkway if speeding starts occuring? It was pretty impressive to see neighbors working together to affect a positive change on their community in the case of both the Papio Street speed humps and the ocean park.

Whitey - your comment about HPP is really lost in translation. Do you think HSCA is an island within an island and we're not to learn from the work the other subdivisions have done or lessons they have learned? Why reinvent the wheel unless it is because you don't support positive changes. Why don't you move down to HOVE if you want to stick your head in the sand and live a life in isolation!

BTW - Thank you Carol for your observations of how blogging brings out the darker side of many people's personalities. It also shows how little respect people have for facts when they can just make it up as they type.
@CSGray, thanks for the sage. Sadly, there is a clear chasm within the community. There are people who hold on to such vehemence that no matter what someone says or does it is never seen or appreciated from the standpoint of that person's sacrifice of time. Someone sniping from the sidelines -- here or elsewhere at those who do sacrifice -- while they themselves are not 'active' in making a difference in the community basically undermine any veracity their 'words' may have imparted.

I stopped by this topic because traffic safety has been a part of our lives since the early 70's when my spouse began working in the field of traffic safety. My posts here and on Big Island Chronicle through the years have been fairly consistent in traffic safety. I am an owner here in this community and everything anyone does on/to the roads has a tether to our investment here whether it is done on the first street across from the ocean or on the first street across from the stables. I so agree with afwjam and am looking forward to seeing how he works out this particular issue. As I said in one my earlier comments here what happens on a local level regarding traffic safety is a microcosm of the attitudes on display by the County and State. For the record, I know only a couple of people who have shared their thoughts on this topic. I have finally guessed who the one character is by his effusive opinions about things and people of the past. I personally don't care who anyone is because everyone brings something to the discussion even if it is a statement to build a finer detailed discussion. The more someone shares the more we all get to know one another.

@afwjam: Big diesel trucks, really? Conjures up many movie scenes....that is a lot of wear and tear on our private roads. Has anyone looked at the business name on the trucks? It might be worth it to see if a call to the company, given there is one company, to advise them their trucks are driving through private residential roads. We had a couple of members complain a few years back about a company using our streets to do their drivers training. The Board wrote them a letter and asked them to find another place to train as this was a private subdivision with private roads. They complied.

Finally this, I don't know how the bigger firetrucks even manage the road from Honolulu Landing through Waa Waa -- but now the ambulance and fire equipment will likely make the same detour down Puna Coastal and Kuna streets to get there. Feel badly for the folks on those two streets but it has to be slow going once you hit the road to Waa Waa and Puna Coastal currently has no speed bumps. As I said in an earlier comment, living like a hermit sometimes is inviting until your life depends on emergency care. When you listen to the police scanner and the difficulties some of these subdivisions have when there is an emergency it is amazing more people do not die. The dispatcher patiently takes and gives details to the responding crews down to the kind of plants on the property with the emergency. I should think an appreciation dinner from the communities these folks serve for their patient tedium in saving lives and limbs would be a worthwhile endeavor. Just an unrelated random thought.

Question Authority!
"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)
Whitey says: "Two guys with cold patch would not be allowed."

Two guys with cold patch can install in an hour. A board with a committee would take years to uninstall. [Wink]
True Dat!
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
I love how the standard option is to spend money and disrupt the natural way of things. This is exactly whats wrong with our federal government and seems to be infecting our local communities as well. Most of the time, when you mess with something, you make it worse. Thats what has happened now. The natural way is to keep highway traffic on the highway and not to spend thousands of dollars on speed bumps that aren't needed. I have walked on Papio st. 50+ times and not once did I get hit by a car. Has anyone else been hit by a car on Papio? The problem is that some people moved onto or built on the highway, thats not my problem and should not be my problem! I don't want speed bumps on Coastal Puna either, I like be able to drive to my house without jarring my teeth or the struts out of my car. We are in a recession, I certainly can't afford thousand dollar speed bumps.
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

Whitey says: "Two guys with cold patch would not be allowed."

Two guys with cold patch can install in an hour. A board with a committee would take years to uninstall. [Wink]

second dat !!!
In my small (2000 population) Olympic Pennsula WA town I moved to Puna from there was a group who started with the cold patch speed bumps. They kept their identity anonymous and would do this in the night. They never got "caught" and it really stopped the tourists and looky-loos from coming down to that beach access doing fast speeds. We all loved the slower traffic. The speed bumps were a topic of the "board" for years... never got taken down.[Smile]
hawaiideborah
Well I am glad thats settled, Gorilla speed bumps everywhere! We can all drive like 5 mph all over the place, not like anybody has a job or a life. We can just make money off all the tourists coming to Hawaiian Shores! It will only take 30 minutes to get up Kahakai. I will get to work tomorrow night. Kamano St. needs a huge one!
You said it afwjam!

If the Guerillas show up on my street we will be chopping off the phalanx before it can spread!

The solution is: People with brains don't casually walk on the highway. People without brains, feel free!

The same applies to building/buying on the highway and expecting it to be a country lane!
On my DR350 I can easily take the biggest speedbump at 55+ if I get on the pegs. I like the speed tables better as I can actually get air.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.