Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thunderstorms
We had a lightning strike in our front yard....scared the s@&! out of me.
Had one land a street away. Believe all good.
Do the metal roofs attract lightning?? We are on 23rd and lost power a few times just for a few seconds. Some very close lightning strikes.

jon

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Don't know if any of you use wunderground weather but their radar app is awesome. Shows yellow dots for thunderstorms and a radar triangle for the storm track. You can see the clouds poof into existence and vanish just as fast. I kept telling our thunder freaked dog the radar shows it being over in about a half hour, twenty minutes and then I look and the sky is clear on the radar and over head the clouds are thin...I tell her okay..it is over and BOOM! A clap of thunder...I look and just that quickly a thunder cloud and storm popped on the radar and a few moments later the green/yellow/red precipitation is massive and right over us with 3 yellow dots surrounding all sides. HPP had one huge thunder track sitting right over it and one right off the coast for over an hour. You all got yours first and the rest of use got it later. Pahoa had as many as 4 separate thunder storms colliding. Glad it has cleared up for a spell. Supposed to get a second change for the lights and sounds tomorrow morning early and through mid morning. Then a break for a couple of days. It is a little chilly already.

The computer link: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?brand=wxmap&query=96778

Android app is 'raindar' it is a free download and is identical to wunderground radar.

"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)
"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)
I don't think metal attracts lightning, but I'm not sure. I want to find out if there is a good reason for that lightning to go through the roof, like maybe the house wasn't grounded? The owner of the house is a retired Hilo police officer. I'm going to watch the news later to see if there is some reason it happened other than it was just a freak accident.
Metal does not ATTRACT lightning. Nothing attracts lightning; it does its own thing.
Metal CONDUCTS lightning when it happens to get hit.

This is a really helpful explanation of the metal attracts lightning myth. Not too simplistic, not hard to read for the non-scientist.

http://stormhighway.com/lmwn3.shtml

I'm so sorry to hear that a house got hit. Very glad no one got hurt.
Lightning stike knocked out our router, but not our modem. So our home network is down and we can only go on line one at a time. Off to Hilo tomorrow for a new router. Otherwise no damage other than two terrified dogs.
One of my dogs is so nervous that she has panic attacks when there's lightning. The vet gave me tranquilizers for her and they help her a lot. I break the pills in half because a whole one is too strong - even tho she weighs about 90 pounds. Aloha ~
Just saw an article in Hawaiinewsnow.com about the lightning strikes at PGV and police officer'a home. Had no idea anything happened at PGV.

Thanks for the website address to that weather page. Much better than the one I had been using.

WE adopted two retired racing Greyhounds years ago. Both grew old and died. Blue was terrified of thunder and fireworks. She would shake so hard you could hear her bones rattling!

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP