Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thunderstorms
metal does attract lightning if it is grounded - its the principle behind a "lightning rod" used to protect buildings and other tall structures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_rod

grounding cable,telephone,electrical etc. lead ins very important as well - all covered in the electrical codes
Critterlover already posted the link above.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
http://www.kpua.net/news.php?id=24139

pgv and hpp strikes -
At 11:15 yesterday my house got hit. I was barefoot in my kitchen and got a good jolt, could feel it go out my feet. About a half hour later the house got hit again, lit up the lights which were not on!
quote:
Originally posted by leilaniguy

At 11:15 yesterday my house got hit. I was barefoot in my kitchen and got a good jolt, could feel it go out my feet. About a half hour later the house got hit again, lit up the lights which were not on!

WOW, I have never heard of that. VERY scary. What kind of floors do you have? I didn't know the floors could conduct electricity.

hawaiideborah
whoa, leilaniguy! I will now put on slippahs if the lightning starts nearby.

It was sunny here 15 minutes ago, but we are in the middle of the muthah of all downpours right now. LOUD rain. But I see blue sky over Hilo Bay through the curtain of rain.
I love crazy rain like this, as long as I don't need to be driving or walking in it. [Smile]
tough to get any work done - that's for sure.... nice to have some down time and no water bill to boot - grin
The floor was wet from rain blowing through the screens. I was calling in my dog, who had run out in panic. It was on a laminate floor up on post & pier. What's strange is I seem to have a sudden case of Acne breakouts. I'm 58!
Just found out my neighbor (in Hawaiian Shores) took a direct hit, but thankfully wasn't home when it happened. Hard to believe but according to my neighbor the lightning strike actually broke one of his pipes and flooded his house. It also fried every appliance in his house, all his outlets, etc. Says he has to have the whole house rewired again.

I'm from the Midwest where thunder and lightening are the norm, but I've never seen it like this before. Scary stuff for sure!
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Are these scary stories normal for most thunder storms or is Hawaii different? I don't even remember thunder storms in California for the first 40 years of my life but I've been scared really bad several times here in Hawaii.