Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Snub-nosed dogs" denied on Hawaiian Airlines?
Aloha all, I've been off island and off Punaweb for a couple years now, and want to come over for a month-long visit. I've acquired a Shih Tzu, now 19 months old. We've gone thru the blood testing thru Kansas lab, we're all set, but now finding that Hawaiian (and other airlines) are reluctant to take "snub-nosed dogs AND cats"..... they want you to sign a release before they'll even consider it. Have NO problem signing a release, but sure don't want to endanger my pup! He's healthy, young, but we do know he doesn't handle high heat well (neither do I, which is why I like Mountain View!). We would have to fly into Honolulu, then onto Hilo. And of course, back again after our month-long visit (and maybe house-hunting).

So my question is, does anyone have any stories, good or bad, about flying your "snub-nosed dog" into the island? Any suggestions?

Mahalo.
Katie

Wherever you go, there you are.
I don't have a snub-nosed dog. She has a long, kissable spotted nose. But I can tell you that getting my (our?) dog here was the second most difficult aspect of my move for many reasons, and it is not done yet. She arrives on 12/22 direct from LAX to KOA, without the layover at HNL. Anecdotally, it is the interisland flights that on rare occasions create physical problems with pug-nosed pups and not the mainland flight to the islands. The layover adds several hours to the ordeal the inter-island flights are the weak link in the chain (per informed hearsay, the issue is pressurization, not heat). I would Google this and I wouldn't worry too much --serious incidents are rare. By the same token, I might be tempted NOT to bring my dog over for just a month (I didn't). And, if possible, I would choose a direct flight to KOA, met by a veterinarian (I did).

Welcome back and have a great time on island!

I do know that 2 of the Punaweb posters (is that the term for people who post...) have traveled here with boxers...one from the east coast through Honolulu & one from the west coast to Kona (these are from a dusty memory, but a search on Punaweb may give you a lot of info for your trip...)

Another thing to think about...traveling with your little guy on island... most beaches & parks do not allow dogs, many stores & resorts also do not allow. There is only one dog park that I know on on the east side, at the Keaau Humane ... it is a fenced play yard, not a large dog park, and many of the long state/county trails have double duty with hunters...they may have unleashed hunting dogs...
If you have a place to stay that has a safe area for your guy if you do go to the beach or shopping or other non-pet areas, then this is not as much of a problem.

And Glen, Welcome back... hope to see you at the Cookie Parade.... Our spotted girl should be decked out in her holiday finest (She enjoyed the VERY short Hilo parade, esp. the 2 dog units in that parade.... Mayor Kenoi even noticed her (of course the lighted moose ears helped...)
After Googling "Flying snub nosed dogs", it doesn't sound like a very prudent thing to do, especially since you're only coming over for a one-month visit. In the best case scenario, you'll be putting your pup under emotional (if not physical) stress four times (once for each leg of the trip), and will then have to care for him (or find a place to park him) while you're here. In the worst case scenario...well, let's not even go there. But be aware of the risks: "An article in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association quotes a Department of Transportation survey that found 122 dogs have <KeaauRich editorial change: "been reunited with their heavenly Master..."> during flights between 2005 and 2010. Half of the deaths were brachycephalic breeds, which includes pugs, all bulldog types, boxers, Boston Terriers, Shih Tzu and King Charles Spaniels."

“Brachycephalic dogs have trouble breathing under the best circumstances,” wrote veterinarian Eric Barchas in response to the journal article. “The take-home message is clear: brachycephalic dogs are at increased risk when travelling in the cargo hold.”
I would not put my dog through all that for a month long visit...no way...with any kine nose
I think if they are under 25lbs and fit under the seat you can carry them in the plane with you.
Call the airlines and see if that is an option.
Mahalo for all your advice, and I think, in light of all the information, we'll leave the pooch with a friend for our month-long visit. I did check the DOT website, and also the NYTimes article....seems that out of the 122 dogs that died (love the "been reunited with their heavenly master"....) half were snub-nosed dogs. It also sounds like flying a dog into Kona-side might be a better choice, but you're right - why risk this for a 1-month visit?!? I'll miss the monkey-man, but better safe than sorry......

In response to putting a dog (or a cat) under the seat in the plane, I think the airlines are starting to ban that practice, too, because of people's allergies, which makes sense.

Again, thanks for your responses!

Always call the airline. They all have different parameters. When I worked for America West Airlines we had to call connecting airlines to be sure that their policies were the same or similar. Some don't allow any animals in the cabin but service animals, etc.

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Good thinking. I brought over a dachshund and a pekingese when I first moved to the big island. I would never ever take my dog on a one month trip to Hawaii. Not even a 6 month trip. They only time you should consider it is if you move to Hawaii.

I also read the warning about a snub nose since a Pek has a short nose tho he was half pek and half J/R so it was short but not so short to worry about it. Anyway. I think flying any animal unless it is going first class with you would put too much stress for just a visit. Heck! I think it's stressful enough for human's!
Rumi,
I really understand wanting to bring the pup with you. We have a 10 month old pup here in Puna and leaving her for a month is a very long time for a young dog. So I do really get it.

We moved over our 10 year old (now 11) dog and 8 year old cat on Hawaiian over a year ago. YES, getting all the paperwork and requirements fulfilled was a huge undertaking. During that prep time on the mainland the other dog that was all ready to fly over got very ill and died just 2 weeks before we left. The dog and cat we did fly over in crates on the same flights as us. Both have regular noses/muzzles, so no problems with the snub-nosed part.

We flew Seattle - Honolulu. We had given the dog 1/4 anxiety pill from vet which worked well. When we got to Honolulu the cat and dog were at the animal control office waiting for us. Getting them was very easy and fast. On the other side of security guard gate (in front of customs buildings) there are several grassy and shaded areas. We put leashes on and got them out of the cages and watered them. All was well at that point. But we had to put them back on the plane from Honolulu to Hilo and that is where the problems began.

The cat was fine. The dog had her anxiety pill worn off but seemed ok and we didn't want to give another because it was too soon and we didn't want to over-drug her.
As we were boarding the plane my name was called. I spent 10 minutes arguing with the "agent" who is in charge. He was up on the walkway pointing to the tar mack where my dog was barking her head off in her kennel. He didn't want to take her on the plane and stated I would have to get off plane with both animals and go take her to a vet to get another new certificate that she was ok to fly. Then he said I was being cruel to her because she was bleeding in no condition to fly. I was shocked. She had been just fine when we checked her in. I finally talked to the pilot who called the "agent's" boss. The boss had me come down on the tar mack and talk to my dog. He wanted to see that she could be calmed down. She was a rescued dog and has trauma around being abandoned, so she was freaking herself out. By this time she had worked herself up and was bleeding from her gums from trying to chew through the plastic of the back of the kennel. So the blood was way worse than it looked and there was no cut, just sore gums. The boss had me sit her and down her and put her back in kennel and then had me make her stand and turn around. She calmed right down and responded to me and the boss man. Finally the boss had me sign a waiver that if she died they were not responsible. Which I did because she had calmed down, it was only 1 more hour and she had done fine on the other flight, not to mention we had 3 large bags each checked on (we were moving), no vet in Honolulu and no car to get to vet or place to stay with 2 animals.

In the end everyone survived the second flight to Hilo well and she calmed down and didn't continue to chew the crate.

I say all this because anything can go wrong...anything.

One more thing to consider is what Carey said in her post above. There are very few places that welcome dogs here on the Big Island. There are a few beaches that are not great for hanging out for the people, but dogs can go. These are an area near Punaluu and an area near the Kona marina across from Costco.
Over here in Puna there is the Shipman beach which takes forever to hike to and does have hunting dogs. I have run into unleashed unfriendly dogs 4 times going to Shipman beach. Twice my dog got bit and had to get stitches. The other place is Champagne Pond. This of course requires a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get to.

So, when we go over to Kona side or anywhere to go to the beach we have to leave the dogs at Hilo Kennels. That is an option for you, but why bring your dog all this way to leave him behind in a kennel? If you do decide to bring him, I really love Hilo Kennels. They have "doggie day camp" and 3 separate securely fenced yards (one for small dogs, one for big dogs and one for dogs that don't play well with others). They have covered areas and kennels for rest time-out. I can't say enough about Hilo Kennels. WONDERFUL dog oriented dog friendly playful safe place. My one dog is escape artist and the other a puppy and both LOVE it there.

hope my stories helped some.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Have a wonderful stay.
hawaiideborah