Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Snub-nosed dogs" denied on Hawaiian Airlines?
there are beaches Kona side where you can take your dog, you just gotta poke around...go to the beach and leave your dog in a kennel for the day??? I don't get that
wow, that was a harrowing transition, deborah. I felt like I was there on the tarmac with you. Stress! Officials can be so uncaring, you never know what call they will make.

In reply to the hare, well, even if there are dog friendly beaches, most are not, and if I were new to the island I'd want to see them all. [Smile]

"And I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody, outside of a small circle of friends ~ Phil Ochs
quote:
Originally posted by the hare

there are beaches Kona side where you can take your dog, you just gotta poke around...go to the beach and leave your dog in a kennel for the day??? I don't get that

Well, if you are visiting the island and you want to go to a beach you can't leave the dogs in the vacation rental or hotel can you? A fun doggie day camp where they can be outdoors and play all day as opposed to locked inside the house for a very long day? Yes, I take the kennel choice.

If you know of any other beaches dogs can go on beside the one nearby the marina across from Costco, please share them.
The beaches I listed are all the ones I know on the island. I would love to have a few more to go to.
Poking around with a dog doesn't usually work well if you don't know where accepts dogs.
So, please do tell, what beaches on the Kona side do you know who accept dogs?
Thanks
hawaiideborah
I saw people play/swim with their dogs at Honaunau bay when I was there two years ago.
Thank you ALL for your thoughtful responses and all the information you've provided! Our pup, Wilson (named for the volleyball in "Cast Away") is an incredibly mellow little guy.... we spend half the year RV'ing (the other half in Prince Edward Island, Canada), and after his morning walk, once we get on the road, Wilson is totally content to stay in his crate while we drive the RV. I've never had a more mellow pet (and I'm in my 60's), so that makes a huge difference to me in terms of traveling with this little guy. That being said, I agree, taking a month-long trip isn't worth the potential problems for the dog.

I lived in Mountain View for 2 years (winters, anyway) not that long ago, and I used to walk the neighborhood.... even without a dog along, it was sometimes nerve wracking because of dogs on chains or behind not very secure fencing.... but that is where I would walk my dog if I had him on island with me - wherever I was staying. I agree about the beaches - he loves the beach, but I wouldn't hesitate to leave him behind for 4-5 hours. Like I said, he's a very laid back guy! If we have errands to do, and if it's too hot or whatever, and we don't want to bring him in the car with us (he has a small soft crate for the car because he feels more secure, not sliding around), then he stays home by himself for up to 6 hours. NEver had a problem! So I guess all I can say, is we're pretty lucky with this little guy, and we're all pretty adaptable and flexible. We wouldn't hesitate leaving the dog in his crate in a vacation rental or a hotel - thankfully, we'll be staying at a friend's place so we don't have to worry about that..... and again, we've decided to leave the dog here with a friend who has a very playful dog.... Wilson will likely be exhausted by the time we return!!

Mahalo so much for all the info - Hilo Kennels, lists of pet-friendly beaches, etc. This is great info for anyone with a pet on island! I am very grateful to Punawebbers!! [Smile]

Wherever you go, there you are.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Best beach for a dog is across the river at Waipio. 4WD required and careful crossing the river, big current. Way worth the day trip.
There are plenty others, but not the big ones, No official parks. You gotta go exploring to find 'em.
Dan
There is a big beach that is definitely LEASHED dog friendly, as is ALL of Kaloko-Honohohau National Historic Park (but it it over in Kona... nice & near the Kaloko Industrial Park - Costco- but still...Kona!)...

And though it is NOT legal...Hilo bayfront is a really nice un-populated (most of the time) beach that dogs do play at...

And the leashed walks in Liliokalani Park are definitely a must-do on most dogs sniff list.

We have used & dog likes BarKing kennels (cats not so much...but they are CATS!) & have used them a couple of times for our slightly hyper/anxious girl.... they have some nice ohana rooms that fit her pup-ality well.
quote:
Originally posted by Carey

There is a big beach that is definitely LEASHED dog friendly, as is ALL of Kaloko-Honohohau National Historic Park (but it it over in Kona... nice & near the Kaloko Industrial Park - Costco- but still...Kona!)...

Thanks for the info on Hilo Bayfront.
However, the Kaloko-Honohohau National park has posted the no dog signs at the beach entrance by the bathrooms and by the end of the path. This is the sign with the dog and the red slash through it.
The area I was referring to that we take the dogs is right next to this park. We leave our car by the amrina bathrooms and walk to the area just south of where the National Park beach starts. there are no signs and there are dogs there.
Don't know exactly whern the signs went up for no dogs on the beach at Kaloko-Honohohau, but I can say they were for sure there about 3 weeks ago when we decided to go to the area of beach next to it instead.
hawaiideborah
quote:
Originally posted by DanielP

Best beach for a dog is across the river at Waipio. 4WD required and careful crossing the river, big current. Way worth the day trip.
There are plenty others, but not the big ones, No official parks. You gotta go exploring to find 'em.
Dan

Thanks much for the tip Daniel.
Having lived here just over a year, we have yet to explore Waipio and it is now at the top of our list. We hope to go within the month.
Questions: I have a 4WD Jeep that I have taken to Green Sand and out to Kamilo Beach (South Point way) and often go to Champagne Pond.
Do you think I can drive down to Waipio? How hairy a drive is it? The websites and guidebooks seem to warn off driving yourself down the steep road and back out. Is it as hard to drive as they say?
Then if you think I could drive it, what about bringing the dogs and how do I find /get to the beach?
Thanks for any advice on Waipio. We were thinking we would have to either walk down or take some sort of tour which I didn't want to do.
hawaiideborah
You need to be in low range 4wd going down in low or 1st gear, good tires. Take it easy. Turn right at the bottom and follow that about a mile, slowly thru 2 deep puddles. Don't straddle the humps. There it is.

Dan