Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cane toads and dogs
My goldfish (which are as big as small koi) are eating bufo tadpoles this week and so far they are fine. I did read about the toxicity too, but I have had koi coexisting with the bufo for years now, and I've never had a koi fatality.

However, I did have a koi die after one of the local slugs got knocked into the pond, coincidence or causation, I had no way to be sure, but won't do that again.
I'm confused. Can this thing shoot poison, or does it only secrete poison if bitten? Video suggests it can squirt poison. By the way, I did have some very mild effects from him touching the bag and then my touching the area of the bag that he slimed. Unless it was my imagination.
I have no direct experience with them squirting toxin. It is my understanding that the squirting occurs if they are squeezed as when an animal grabs them in its mouth. They can't squirt voluntarily. My sister in law raised some from tadpoles. Me and her kids would catch wood roaches in the lawn at night and put them in the bottom of a tub, then put the toads in. It was like the Roman Colosseum. They would get 2 or 3 in a single gulp. Anyway we handled the toads at will and felt no ill effects. The toads were tame I guess, didn't squirm and we didn't squeeze them hard.
All quiet on the bufo front last night. My nightly inspection disclosed none, but I do need to clear some underbrush. I think you are right MarkP: Our variety doesn't shoot; it secretes. Yuck.