Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bus....?
We live on the Kenai peninsula about 3hrs drive from Anchorage.
It's tourist heaven with people comming from all parts of the world for the fishing- salmon, halibut,clams.
I love the summers! But after 40 plus years of winters. I've had enough.!.
So if our plans work?? We'll be able to enjoy both worlds. We plan on doing 50% split between Hawaii/Alaska .
I can always work summers in alaska. (home health aide)
I know jobs are hard to find in hawaii so I'll not count on finding one ..
I'm so looking forward to my visit! T-10 days.....

[/quote]

You must be in Ketchikan.
[/quote]

haha good guess, you must know da kine Smile
islandgirl
well, back to da bus... anyone ever ride it from hilo side to kona side? Can one actually take the bus to costco? Just wondering if anyone has tried?

If so, how long did you get to shop for before the last bus back to Hilo?
There is discussion about it here:
http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13828
Check the Kona Intra route, You'd have to walk uphill to Costco, then carry groceries or whatever back down & on 2 buses back to Hilo. I just carpool w/ a couple friends & my truck, well worth the trip. With the price of gas though, I've been taking the bus Pahoa to Keaau & Hilo. Free for me, but be patient, it was late every time & sometimes you have to stand.
I have gone back & forth to Kona, not to do a Costco run (at a dollar a package for more than 1 daypack sized, it would add up fast....and there is not unlimited space for stuff...you may need to stand or sit with all of your stuff in your seat....)

Be aware that the route times are ...um... flexible... I ride the Bus several times a week, into Hilo, and a couple of times,in the last few years the bus I was taking arrived & left earlier than the posted time, a few times it was right on time, most of the time within 10 min, a few times around 20 mins late....and a couple of times accidents closed 130 so nothing was coming or going, and once the bus broke down beyond Pahoa & they had to send a replacement out....on those... it was a FOREVER wait....

Luckily I have hubby in Kona during the week, so I haven't even been in the Costco for a couple of years (really do not like shopping, so this is good!) he does the Costco run for us & friends....I am not sure I would do the bus for a back & forth Costco run.... unless you had a place to stay if the connections & amount of stuff did not work out for the bus...
yeah I could just imagine a bus breaking down on your 2 bus ride back to hilo and missing a bus because of the break down. I don't think I could manage sleeping at a bus station because the only bus you were waiting for didn't arrive. I can see taking the bus from pahoa to hilo but probably not Kona. At least I got an Echo that get's 44 miles to the gallon so that helps out a bunch on gas prices.

so assuming that you went to Kona about 125 miles with stopping along a few beaches on the way... that would be about 250 miles r/t with gas at 4.5 a gallon would cost me about 25 bucks for site seeing and spending a night with a good friends in Kona ... Sounds like a pretty nice vacation!

Thanks everyone for your reply's ! Smile