Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York Pizza in Pahoa?
I also believe Scoot's post was in reference to Boogie Woogie - not the new place.

I've made my opinion about BW pretty clear in past posts. They're awful.

Tried the new place - pretty good. Would pick them over BW. My favorite is sill Pizza Hawaii in Hilo. It was sad that the staff of Pizza Hawaii never quite got the concept of good pizza and the place went out of business as a result.
Bill, sorry if the rules weren't clear: only folks from New York and Chicago are allowed to comment on pizza. If we need to know how to kill a bear, or what kind of snowmobile ("snow machine" in Alaska dialect I believe) model to buy, we'll be sure to ask for your opinion. Wink

I'm about to sink my teeth into Mike's pizza. Since I was born and raised in Chicago I'm technically not allowed to comment on New York pizza. But since Bill's breaking all the unwritten rules here, I'll follow his lead and share my Windy-City perspective in a follow up email.

FWIW, I'm a Gino's East and/or Lou Malnati's kind of guy myself. Don't expect to be eating either of those pies soon. As much as I love Chicago pizza, being in Hawaii is easily a worthy trade-off.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Okay, we just finished a 14" pizza from Mike's NY Pizza.

It was cold, which surprises me 'cause they said 15 to 20 minutes and I was there in 15. It was tasty, but really nothing over-the-top. It was good. That's it.

It was half the size of the Boogie-Woogie pie and cost 4.00 more. I had three toppings on it and they were $1.25 each so just about $19 for a 14" pizza.

Maybe it's just me but unless your pizza tastes like God made it, maybe opening up a shop 2 doors away from an existing pizza place isn't the wisest thing to do. Just sayin'. I wish them well and hope they are able to survive.

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
New York STYLE pizza ... [8D] that may open the field ..

I'm technically from Chicago, but I never ate any pizza while I was there. [Wink]
But I am very fond of Chicago STYLE pizza I've had in other places.

Big Island Pizza is pretty good, kind of expensive, can be wetter than what I like.
Also the wetter pizzas can get soggy if they have to travel 20 minutes.
Some pizza is for right now, some works as "to go."

I just wish I had some pizza right now! [:p]
20 bucks for a 14" pizza? Ouch... I like cotco pizza. 10 bucks for don't know the size in inches but it's a lot bigger then 14"! Tho, I usually just buy a frozen (rising crust) and put my own tomato's, green pepper, shrooms, olives etc...etc... kinda rare for me to actually buy one. Hows the Mexican place doing? Still good?
We like it, Eric. It's not like our favorites in Arizona...but then - it's not Arizona. Luquins is our breakfast haunt and we love their fajitas.

I noticed a new "Deli" place right next to PVC...there's a little shop with a window. I swear we LOVE to eat in Pahoa! LOL!!!

Carrie

Carrie Rojo

Only problem with Costco pizza is it's a 5-hour round trip! Not to mention the 40 bucks in gas to go fetch it.

I think Mike's is better than BW, a little more flavorful, perhaps in the sauce? But it's not awesome. Just like Bill says, the crust was kind of soggy (but not cold). I like my crust a little crispy but that's just me. It gets a C+ because it's New York style pizza and I'm grading on a curve. Smile

My wife said the Buffalo Wings were really good, but not as tasty as Kaleo's.

Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Maybe it's the water here that makes a real New York style crust impossible.
The quality of the ingredients is good, the sauce is great, the price is to much and the crust is flimsy. The crust should be crisp when you first bite in, then chewy. Maybe its the water. Pizza Hawaii in Hilo has a better crust.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
Pizza Hawaii in Hilo is the best I've had since moving here. The cheese is really yummy - and the pepperonis are just like I like them.

As for "Buffalo" wings...being raised in Buffalo, I just never could find them as good as most bars there, unless I make them myself. I haven't made them in sometime, though.

Carrie

Carrie Rojo