Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3.5 quake below Mauna Loa tonight
Kind of different, most quake reports are Kilauea.
M3.5 - 24km E of Honaunau-Napoopoo
Centered on Mauna Loa summit, 4 km down.

Here is an image of it on the shake map.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/product/shake...p_imagemap

Event page:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/e...hv60686911
Don't think I'd be too worried. Mauna Kea still gets the occasional earthquake below the summit area and the recent (but rare) ones have been larger than 3.5 and it's much less active than Mauna Loa. When you get a swarm of earthquakes on Mauna Loa is the time to get a little concerned.
I've been watching all the earthquakes in the last 48 hours reported over at Kiluea. More than 50 yesterday, and more than 30 today. There's a note about "increasing pressure" on the website.
KGMB May 5, 2014, Keahi Tucker just did a special report on Mauna Loa and the danger of future eruptions.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/25436...loa-erupts
Tom, you are of course right about swarms as a precursor.
I do get emails for all local quakes over 3.0, and this is the first I've gotten in ages that was Mauna Loa and right bingo under the center of it too, so it got my attention.

I wouldn't say I am worried, but Mauna Loa is officially overdue at this point, which is why Keahi Tucker did that report.

I remember back in 2002, there were swarms and there was inflation noted, then again in 2004.

Thanks Julie, I'll check out the Kilauea update!
I checked the Mauna Loa page and it notes increased seismicity for April. There was a 3.0 and a 1+ this morning too.

Kilauea summit, they think there is extra magma pressure going on up there.
Never know, changes might be in store.
92 earthquakes in the last 24 hours under Kiluea.
Wow if this is true about that many quakes in a 24 hour period then yes an eruption of some kind is probably imminent. Hard to imagine more pressure or lava accumulating within Kiluea, for she has been so active so long I would think the signs of slowing a bit would be more common. Looking at Puu'oo vent lately it almost looks like mountain forming, like the next mauna kea. Maybe because she has filled up and somewhat capped over her vent at Puu'oo she cant breath as easy so she's building pressure. Then again the quakes usually mean lava moving or rising to a point of cracking and swelling which cause the shaking. Just a few days before that fissure opened up a couple years back they had 77 earthquakes, a swarm a day or two before.
Just went to look at HVO website. 5 small earthquakes just happened in the last 2 hours. It seems like a lot to me, but I am not an expert.
Now I am really curious. There were 60 earthquakes yesterday and 73 today according to the HVO website. But what I really have a question about is the statement on there that basically says, "it looks like a new DI souce to the north of the cone"?? Can anyone provide a better explanation as to what this means, or what is going on? Thanks