Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safety Check Scam?
Did Safety Check on truck, odometer working that morning, after inspection blank, we were told odometer broken and ball joints needed, $1400+ for repairs. Any recommendations where we can take the truck to find out if odometer was tampered with! Ball joints we will deal with later, as I don't think there is problem!
Inspector Gadget?

Do do-do do-do
I use Nicks Garage on Makaala and have had nothing but good to say about them. Always honest, good work. Have sent many a Punawebber and always happy with results. Smile

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Ball Joints by the way are not really that difficult to change. I was quoted $800 to change mine a couple years go. I actually bought the ball joint press tool ($80) but I think you can rent or borrow it from an autoparts store. Total parts was $100 and it took me a weekend because I'd never done it before. It might vary some on $$ depending on your model.

http://www.wedekingphotography.com
I was told that I needed ball joints and so I asked the mechanic to show me how he determined that. I had him jack up the truck to show me the "play". It was very slight. He backed up on his opinion. I think that he knew I had caught him stretching the facts. I now go to a different shop.

Dan
You need to be sure to accuse a mechanic of scamming you.What goes around comes around.
The service station in front of KTA, seems like it shares parking with Pizza Hut is where I take mine now. Love the mom and pop, honest to a fault...gas money taking guy is a little monotone which is wierd for me.

Bought an old Volvo, took me 6 1/2 hours to change the passenger headlight (the easy one); got 3 estimates, "omg, I have to remove the whole bumper and battery and blah blah". "We have a minimum of 1 hour and 1 hour is $140.....Pops changed it for $10 in 10 minutes and let me hold the screw driver for him! wonderfulness

Kea'au service station called or faxed my friends insurance company. wth? I didn't know they could do that.

Is this a new thing?
Thank you for the help and information.
Again the reason I am questioning this, I know the odometer was on and working on our way there! Did not notice after we got the truck back about 1/2 hour later. Another employee who collected the fee and gave us the paperwork said everything was OK. Only later reading the invoice/printout nothing listed about anything being wrong, safety check was incomplete, called the station and then were told the odometer was blank(not working) and we needed ball joints.
quote:
Originally posted by mailes

The service station in front of KTA, seems like it shares parking with Pizza Hut is where I take mine now. Love the mom and pop, honest to a fault...gas money taking guy is a little monotone which is wierd for me.

Bought an old Volvo, took me 6 1/2 hours to change the passenger headlight (the easy one); got 3 estimates, "omg, I have to remove the whole bumper and battery and blah blah". "We have a minimum of 1 hour and 1 hour is $140.....Pops changed it for $10 in 10 minutes and let me hold the screw driver for him! wonderfulness
Second this station in Puainako Center as good easy place to get a safety. Used to live in Waiakea so we found this place, everyone in family has used them and been pleased.
For safety check or any kine suspension work these guys are the best.. I have known them since i moved here and had quite a few repairs and inspections done. Wally is fair priced and very honest and knowledgeable...
http://www.yellowpages.com/keaau-hi/mip/...=453971233

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” " Krishnamurti "
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” " Krishnamurti "