Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State warns HPP for dust violation
dwedeking,
Couldn't afford a house on a paved road and can't afford to feed a pickup truck to drive to Hilo 190 days a year. We ruled out Hawaiian Acres even though I really like it up there because of the state of the roads. Ours is actually one of the better roads in HPP, but while house shopping we saw some real craters on less inhabited roads, the current road crew has been doing a really good job of dealing with the worst of the craters.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

dwedeking,
Couldn't afford a house on a paved road and can't afford to feed a pickup truck to drive to Hilo 190 days a year. We ruled out Hawaiian Acres even though I really like it up there because of the state of the roads. Ours is actually one of the better roads in HPP, but while house shopping we saw some real craters on less inhabited roads, the current road crew has been doing a really good job of dealing with the worst of the craters.

Carol

Thanks for the atta boy Carol[Smile]

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
Scott,
Just like to give credit were credit is due, especially since I am one of the first to b*tch when I don't think things are being done right.

Whatever issues there might be with the governance of HPP (and there are plenty), the nuts and bolts management of our infrastructure has been very professional and efficient. I do wish we could get signage for more of the streets that is visible at night. I live here, and drive across the subdivision almost every day, and I can't even tell if I've just crossed Kaloli, or was that Paradise, oops that was Maku'u! Signage for every 4th numbered cross street would help too. The only Dog the Bounty Hunter I ever saw had them getting lost in HPP on a dark rainy night, it was a real been there, done that moment.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

Scott,
Just like to give credit were credit is due, especially since I am one of the first to b*tch when I don't think things are being done right.

Whatever issues there might be with the governance of HPP (and there are plenty), the nuts and bolts management of our infrastructure has been very professional and efficient. I do wish we could get signage for more of the streets that is visible at night. I live here, and drive across the subdivision almost every day, and I can't even tell if I've just crossed Kaloli, or was that Paradise, oops that was Maku'u! Signage for every 4th numbered cross street would help too. The only Dog the Bounty Hunter I ever saw had them getting lost in HPP on a dark rainy night, it was a real been there, done that moment.

Carol

We have proposed to the BOD to install a white background with red reflective #'s and the letter of the main drive you are on. Say 24M you would be on Maku'u at 24th. The original request came from the Fire Department on every 5th cross street. But after the General Membership Meeting on Sunday it seems that the residents would like them on all the cross streets.
As I said I think there is a sample on 24th and Maku'u so check it out.
Scott
That will be great!

Carol
Carol

Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

This is stupid. How in the world is HPP going to control dust on all its cinder roads unless they pave every one of them? And if that happens...the yearly road maintainence fee would be 10 times what it is now....Why aren't the roads in orchidland, or hawaiian acres or Hawaiian Ocean View estates included?

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/sections/...tions.html

HOVE has paved all their roads...
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
I didn't know that. HOVE's road system is larger than HPP's. Where did they get the money?
Seems like it is about time that the County starts taking over the roads where it is levying taxes, since they allowed the construction of these subdivisions vicariously.
I realize the enormity of this, but I think that this is part of what they (gov't) are needed for.
quote:
Originally posted by DanielP

Seems like it is about time that the County starts taking over the roads where it is levying taxes, since they allowed the construction of these subdivisions vicariously.
I realize the enormity of this, but I think that this is part of what they (gov't) are needed for.

I agree, Daniel, but this has been a highly toxic concept for a whole succession of mayors and bureaucrats. When HPP was considering donating land for the lamented park, some members of our board insisted that the County assume maintenance of the HPP trunk road that would lead to the park from the highway. The idea was that a lot of traffic from outside HPP would head for the park, thus increasing our maintenance costs. The County's response was an emphatic "No way!" That was a door they were not even willing to crack just a little.

Personally, I was in favor of donating the land for the park despite the County's attitude. I came away respecting those who consistently tried to get the county to help with the road and voted their conscience against donating the land. It was the board president at that time who, after telling us for months that we needed to give the County a chance to do something for us, changed his vote at the last minute and sank the proposal. Just one more example of the poor leadership HPP has experienced over the years.
I think one of the 1st steps to fixing the the mess is a county bill to make the right of way width for accepting a road the width the county accepted when they approved the subdivision.
this would not cost the county anything- the roads would have to meet the paving standards for acceptance. but it would at least put it in the realm of reality to do it.
there are a lot of county roads in Hilo that are less than 35ft building to building