Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State warns HPP for dust violation
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

I didn't know that. HOVE's road system is larger than HPP's. Where did they get the money?

They have roughly 10,000 lots that get charged $100 a year for road maintenance. 10K times $100 = lots of chip seal!
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
HOVE also doesn't have the maintainance costs that the "green" side has, due to less rain.

That doesn't stop them from mowing the rocks on the side of the road!
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
quote:
Originally posted by dragon2k

quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

I didn't know that. HOVE's road system is larger than HPP's. Where did they get the money?

They have roughly 10,000 lots that get charged $100 a year for road maintenance. 10K times $100 = lots of chip seal!

I wonder what their % of collections really is out there, probably about 50%

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
Daniel,

Yes, the county can take over, HOWEVER they have every right to require all landowners in the subdivision to bear the cost....not the county as a whole...the problem with having the county "take over the roads" is that they have a standard for residential roads, and do not 'do' agricultural zoned roads..... IF HPP had been zoned residential in the beginning, the developers would have had to build the roads to county standards at the time AND THE COST WOULD HAVE BEEN PASSED ON to all of the lot buyers, and eventually to everyone that lives NOW in HPP (ie, a HPP house or lot would have cost more to buy).. This is the main reason WHY land prices are higher in residential zoned areas than the Ag zoning....

Hawaiian Shore (or rec, ...or beaches...or...) found out when they wanted the county to take over their water, that even IF the county is willing, EACH CURRENT landowner is responsible to upgrade their frontage water line... this is a very standard practice for rural areas in the mainland & here...

Every rural house I have lived in (mainland) until this one (Keaau residential zoned) had an issue with meeting required upgrades.... 3 with state required sewage handling... 1 with county water line & 1 with school district required sidewalks... each of those homes had HUGE improvement costs that were borne over time to upgrade to state, school district or county standards....cost paid by each of the home owners in the rural area, not by the state, or the county or the school district (the last was sewer lines at over $1500 per frontage foot PLUS $500 property connect per foot PLUS $10,000 connection fee....ALL REQUIRED - could not legally sell the property without the upgrade unless we put in a tertiary septic system).
Actually county road standards were in place and applicable at the time HPP and most other Puna subdivisions were created by act of the Hawaii County Board of Supervisors.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Carey,
Sounds about like the Mello-Roos law in Cali.
Looks like the state means business about the fines...

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/sect...-dust.html
HPP should just design a dust abatement plan based on a 15 MPH speed limit on all gravel roads. At that speed there is minimal dust, so problem solved (on paper anyway). Enforcement of speed limits is a law enforcement issue, not a subdivision homeowners association issue.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Thats an excellent idea Carol. Im surprised the HPP board hasn't thought of that. It limits the dust by lowering the speed limit. Im sure the state would buy that. All HPP has to do is change the speed limit signs on subdivision roads which would cost alot less then bringing in water trucks and watering the entire subdivision roads everytime we have a dry spell.